NWA55AXE - PoE adaptar

Options
tepe
tepe Posts: 2
First Comment

Hey,

Firmware: V6.29(4)

• If I setup NWA55AXE as repeater and it is still connected to a PoE switch, then LED from NWA55AXE ethernet LED port is powered off. If I enable AP or root AP mode again, ethernet LED port is powered on again. Is there an intention behind this behavior?
    • AP mode: ethernet LED port is powered on
    • Root AP mode: ethernet LED port is powered on
    • Repeater mode: ethernet LED port is powered off

Is the supplied PoE adapter useable for follow configuration?

NWA55AXE is configured as:

• repeater mode
  • no WDS bridge enabled, means this AP has to extend range of Wifi, but there is no switch or something like this connected to this AP

Supplied PoE adapter provides only power on PoE port, when I connect the LAN port to a computer, switch, .. If I disconnect LAN connection, then there is no power on this PoE side. As consequence I can not use NWA55AXE - as the advertising promises - as standalone repeater, because the PoE adapter cannot supply the access point with power in standalone mode. Is this intentional?

Best regards,

thomas.

PS: I found a lot of documentation and tutorials to setup SmartMesh and how to extend range of a Wifi network by Nebula.

I have to setup a Wifi with WDS and mesh without any cloud based service, but was not able to find a tutorial to setup follow with a lot of NWA55AXE:

• multiple SSID with different VLANs
  • Range extension
  • Mesh

Is there any example configuration described?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,714  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @tepe,

If I setup NWA55AXE as repeater and it is still connected to a PoE switch, then LED from NWA55AXE ethernet LED port is powered off. If I enable AP or root AP mode again, ethernet LED port is powered on again. Is there an intention behind this behavior?

• AP mode: ethernet LED port is powered onRoot AP mode: ethernet LED port is powered onRepeater mode: ethernet LED port is powered off

In Repeater mode, the ethernet LED will be powered off if you disable WDS Wireless bridging. This causes the LAN port to be disabled. To enable the LAN port, you have to enable WDS Wireless bridging.

repeater mode

no WDS bridge enabled, means this AP has to extend range of Wifi, but there is no switch or something like this connected to this AP

Supplied PoE adapter provides only power on PoE port, when I connect the LAN port to a computer, switch, .. If I disconnect LAN connection, then there is no power on this PoE side. As consequence I can not use NWA55AXE - as the advertising promises - as standalone repeater, because the PoE adapter cannot supply the access point with power in standalone mode. Is this intentional?

No, this is not normal behavior. I did a local test with the same configuration and action as yours, my NWA55AXE is still working. Does "you cannot use NWA55AXE" mean you cannot access it?

I have to setup a Wifi with WDS and mesh without any cloud based service, but was not able to find a tutorial to setup follow with a lot of NWA55AXE:

multiple SSID with different VLANs

Range extension

Mesh

• multiple SSID with different VLANs: Please reference this FAQ.
    • Range extension: May I know if you mean WiFi Roaming or WDS Wireless bridging?
    • Mesh: Please reference this FAQ.

Zyxel Melen

All Replies

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,714  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @tepe,

If I setup NWA55AXE as repeater and it is still connected to a PoE switch, then LED from NWA55AXE ethernet LED port is powered off. If I enable AP or root AP mode again, ethernet LED port is powered on again. Is there an intention behind this behavior?

• AP mode: ethernet LED port is powered onRoot AP mode: ethernet LED port is powered onRepeater mode: ethernet LED port is powered off

In Repeater mode, the ethernet LED will be powered off if you disable WDS Wireless bridging. This causes the LAN port to be disabled. To enable the LAN port, you have to enable WDS Wireless bridging.

repeater mode

no WDS bridge enabled, means this AP has to extend range of Wifi, but there is no switch or something like this connected to this AP

No, this is not normal behavior. I did a local test with the same configuration and action as yours, my NWA55AXE is still working. Does "you cannot use NWA55AXE" mean you cannot access it?

multiple SSID with different VLANs

Range extension

Mesh

• multiple SSID with different VLANs: Please reference this FAQ.
    • Range extension: May I know if you mean WiFi Roaming or WDS Wireless bridging?
    • Mesh: Please reference this FAQ.

Zyxel Melen

• tepe
    tepe Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Hey Melen,

thank you very much for your detailed explanation, it works. I can confirm that the supplied PoE power supply works as described by you.

thomas.