Zyxel NAS540 Attached Device Copy Failures

I have an externally USB attached Western Digital MyBook and when a file is copied over, it fails at the very end. When I retry to copy the file over it indicates the file is over there. When viewing the file on the MyBook it is definitely not complete or damaged. This has resulted in me deleting the originals not realizing the remote copy was hosed. How can I perform a fsck/chkdsk on this device? I can't find an option in the UI and of course only e2fsck is available in busybox but that can't be ran on a mounted device.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,751  Guru Member
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Friend Collector Seventh Anniversary

I'm afraid there is no easy way.

The forum software b0rked up my comments. You'll have to strip the html markup code.

• SeattleDavid
    SeattleDavid Posts: 4
    First Comment Friend Collector

I am very familiar with vi fortunately. Unfortunately /etc/init.d/rc.shutdown is not writable even with a forced :wq!

• Mijzelf

You are logged in as admin, I suppose? Try running 'su' first. Only root is allowed to edit that file.

• SeattleDavid
    edited June 3

su did the trick. So used to using sudo which of course is not there.

• SeattleDavid
    edited June 4

No unfortunately. Back to the original issue even via telnet with most services down:

~ # umount /i-data/sysvol
    ~ # e2fsck -f /dev/md2
    e2fsck 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
    /dev/md2 is in use.
    e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

umount /dev/md2
    umount: /dev/md2: not mounted

USB Mount is fat32 anyhow:

fdisk -l
    Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sde1 2048 15628050431 15628048384 7.3T Microsoft basic data

dosfsck -wrlavt /dev/sde1
    CP437: Invalid argument

I got tired of messing around with this and ended up taking a laptop down to the external drive and running a scandisk. This clearly should be a capability in the UI, this is ridiculous.

• Mijzelf

I think you have a logical volume on the raid array. That is a choice you had when you created the volume. But of course another naming was used, so you didn't know what it was really about.

So you can't fsck the raid array, you have to scan the logical volume. Execute 'cat /proc/partitions' to see it's device name.

This clearly should be a capability in the UI, this is ridiculous.

Agree. But, to ZyXEL's defense, I must say that is very difficult to implement. To do a filesystem repair the filesystem cannot be mounted. But to unmount it there may not be any open files. I know from experience how hard it is to manually find out which process is keeping a file open, and I wouldn't know how to write a script to do it automatically. Even more when the webinterface needs to be alive, to give feedback.

When I remember well old firmwares had a disk check function, but it could only check, not repair.

Consumer Product Help Center