cannot map network drive on Win XP with NAS325 v2 and entware-ng enabled

aldapooh
aldapooh Posts: 66  Ally Member
First Comment Friend Collector Second Anniversary Community MVP

Hi Mijzelf, dear community,

this is a continuation of the thread here: https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/23442/nsa325v2-entware-ng-samba-no-samba-after-hot-nas-restart/p4 and here: https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/23637/nas325v2-entware-ng-smb-no-shares-under-volume1 

after all the repairs, resets, restarts I would like to double check if the current behavior is as expected.

I have two laptops: with Win 11 and Win XP (dont ask)

With NAS325v2, enabled entware-ng and installed SAMBA previously I was able to map network drives both in Win 11 and Win XP and use them.

Now after some issues described in threads above I cannot map network drive with Win XP. Win XP sees shares, but when I try to connect I got an error "The network path is not found" I tried both with special user and admin.

My stupid question: - is it supposed to work at all on Win XP with entware-ng enabled? It worked before but who knows what changed and was broken on my NAS recently. 

Any tips?

thanks, -A

All Replies

• aldapooh

FYI

I read that Win XP support only SMB 1.0
    but I wonder how it worked for me before

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,751  Guru Member
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Friend Collector Seventh Anniversary

AFAIK the ZyXELSambaReplacement supports both smb1 and smb2. And also AFAIK if you see the shares in XP, the smb protocol matches. When the box would only talk smb2, XP wouldn't see the server at all.

Instead you have a login problem. Maybe XP tries cached credentials, or it does some silent substitutions in the password, or …

I remember from long ago that deleting dangling sessions in XP could help. Something with the 'net' command in a command prompt.

• aldapooh

Hi Mijzelf,

again - thank you million times for your help and advice.

Just for research purposes I continue my investigation and I share my observations.

What I did today - I tried to map NSA325v2 Volume1 with admin user from Win XP and it worked. One difference from previous attempts was that my other Win 11 laptop was not ON, I am not sure if this was a crucial thing or I overlooked something else.

What I did next - I restarted both NAS and Win XP (with intention to remove any cached credentials) and I tried to map a dedicated share with a dedicated user I maintained on NAS and which is an owner of this share. It did NOT work.

This is how my additional user and dedicated share are maintained on NAS

Should this dedicated user be administrator? Or do I overlook something?

Regards, -A

• aldapooh

FYI - just to close this thread

i did a configuration restore to the point in time before I did a factory reset via the hidden button on the rear of NAS325v2.

after that I was able to connect with a dedicated user as before.

what is interesting, now after configuration recovery I can see shares where expected when logging via WinSCP with FTP.

but there is more interesting fact. via FTP I see shares which were created before "Configuration Restore". But I actually created a new share after recovery called "backup" but somehow it does not appear under the root via FTP.

This is something I cannot explain, but might be worth to look into.

-A

Consumer Product Help Center