NAS 542 App installation stops at 45%

Joerg
Joerg Posts: 14  Freshman Member
10 Comments Friend Collector

Hello

I have 3 NAS 542 and at all is the same problem . It is by the
PHP-MySQL-phpMyAdmin App and some others . Installation starts and runs till 45% then it stops . I use this App as Database for Kodi . For access from Kodi (on a Raspberry Pie and a Intel Nuc) i changed two entries (with WinSCP) in i-data (bind adress from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0) . What can i do now ?

Best Answers

• JustAnotherUser
    JustAnotherUser Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    Community MVP 10 Comments First Answer Friend Collector
    Answer ✓

I wait a feedback from Zyxel.
    IMHO they need to check the package index/MD5SUMs and the packages integrity.

Regards

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,741  Guru Member
    Community MVP 2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 250 Answers
    Answer ✓

What to do now ? Can i fix it ?

Maybe. You can try to edit the file. Enable the ssh server, disconnect internet, login using WinSCP (assuming you are using Windows), and locate the file /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/ZYPKGS. Use the build-in editor to edit it. The package PHP-MySQL has MD5SUM c2ad297499a6fa6a26f7f6ac32490ef8, and that should be 2263e22ccb97e00766796aaae0ce010f.

After editing retry to install the package. Without internet connection, to prevent overwriting of the edited file.

• JustAnotherUser
    Answer ✓

I'd discourage that. If for any reason the package has been, mistakenly or deliberately with bad intention, modified/manipulated/patched you're installing anyway ignoring that "check".

I'll wait for a feedback by Zyxel.

Up to you.

• Joerg
    Answer ✓
    @Mijzelf It worked as you described. Thanks so much . I does it on all boxes 😀
    Will there be an update somewhen or a change in the packages in future ?

• Mijzelf
    Answer ✓

Will there be an update somewhen or a change in the packages in future ?

Don't know. I'd expect an updated database file, but the track record of ZyXEL is not very good. Getting GoogleDrive working again took them 2 years.

get the same answer from Zyxel support as I did: buy a newer device.

Really? You have an 542 now? Then they are basically saying: buy another brand. As there is no newer ZyXEL device as the 542.

@JustAnotherUser Although in principle I agree with you, I think the risk here is very small. The (nested) crc32 in the package tar.gz protects you against non-intentionally damage. And when some evil mind would have put malware in the package, and put that on the ftp server, then why didn't he update the database file as well?

Actually I think it's an administrative error. When you look at the package list on the ftp server (for NSA542) almost all packages are timestamped 4 Oct 2021. Except for GoogleDriveClient, which is from 25 June 2024, and the database file ZYPKG_INFO.tgz. So I think someone b0rked up the database file when updating GoogleDriveClient.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 867  Zyxel Employee
    Second Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
    Answer ✓

Hi @Joerg , @JustAnotherUser and all

Apologies for the delayed response.

We understand that this issue could affect the device's usability. We've identified the root cause and are planning to address it with a firmware update. However, this model has already reached its EOL (End of Life) status, development will take some time because of its limited support, and we'll keep you informed of our progress.

In the meantime, if you need a quick resolution, you might want to try the method suggested by @Mijzelf here:

Kay

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• Zyxel_Kay
    Second Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
    Answer ✓

Hi @Joerg , @JustAnotherUser and all

We're pleased to inform you that the issue has been fixed. Please refresh the app and reinstall it.

Kay

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

All Replies

• Joerg

I tried restart , reset button on the back and factory reset .

• JustAnotherUser

Hi ZyXEL Support team,

I have the same problem but with a NAS326, installation stuck at 45%.

Tried connecting via SSH to the NAS and did the following tests:

• "ps" command shows that, after clicking the "Install" button on Web GUI, the installation process die
    • manually run the command to install packages and I got a Segmentation fault:
      $ /usr/local/apache/web_framework/bin/executer_su /usr/bin/ipkg-cl -f /etc/zyxel/pkg_conf/zypkg_conf/zy-pkg.conf -t /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/tmp -nodeps install Transmission c0b90ad0
      Segmentation fault

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards

• Mijzelf

@Joerg On three different boxes? My first guess would be a network issue. I'm not sure, but I think stuck at 45% means it cannot download the package. Do the boxes have internet access? Does 'ping google.com' work from the boxes? And 'ping ftp2.zyxel.com'? The latter doesn't answer, but at least the address should be resolved.

• Mijzelf

@JustAnotherUser Have you looked in the kernel log, to see if there is a hardware problem?

• Joerg

Google successful , Zyxel Failed to receive response

• Joerg
    edited July 7

With Windows Explorer i reached Zyxel server and download fw 5.21 and zypkg packet . Does this help ?

• Mijzelf

Google successful , Zyxel Failed to receive response

In that case it's not internet access problems. DNS and Gateway are OK.

I wonder if the Segmentation fault which @JustAnotherUser sees also applies to your boxes. Did you update the firmware recently?

• Joerg

What can i do now ?

• Zyxel_Kay

Hi @Joerg & @JustAnotherUser

Could you please share your NAS firmware version with us? If you have not upgraded to the latest firmware version, please do so and check if the issue is resolved.

Kay

• Joerg
    edited July 8
    I did the update to 5.21 ABAG 15 a few days ago. The last thing that worked was installing apps with 5.21 ABAG 13

Consumer Product Help Center