NAS 542 App installation stops at 45%

All Replies

• JustAnotherUser
    JustAnotherUser Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    Community MVP 10 Comments First Answer Friend Collector
    edited July 10

LOL.

I found the root cause of my and your problem. I know what I'm doing.

Zyxel cannot say "buy a newer device" simply because my device is not faulty, the problem is not on my device.

I already know that I can hardcode the current MD5SUM in the package index but I didn't because none can confirm if the package content is correct or not.

As I said, up to you.

• Joerg
    Joerg Posts: 14  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    edited July 10
    Because my device is EoL, they wrote to me that they cannot provide any technical support. If I want new features and technical support I should buy a newer device. If I wanted that they would refer me to sales.

• Joerg
  • Joerg

@JustAnotherUser

You will see what they answer to you .

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,741  Guru Member
    Community MVP 2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 250 Answers
    Answer ✓

Will there be an update somewhen or a change in the packages in future ?

Don't know. I'd expect an updated database file, but the track record of ZyXEL is not very good. Getting GoogleDrive working again took them 2 years.

get the same answer from Zyxel support as I did: buy a newer device.

Really? You have an 542 now? Then they are basically saying: buy another brand. As there is no newer ZyXEL device as the 542.

@JustAnotherUser Although in principle I agree with you, I think the risk here is very small. The (nested) crc32 in the package tar.gz protects you against non-intentionally damage. And when some evil mind would have put malware in the package, and put that on the ftp server, then why didn't he update the database file as well?

Actually I think it's an administrative error. When you look at the package list on the ftp server (for NSA542) almost all packages are timestamped 4 Oct 2021. Except for GoogleDriveClient, which is from 25 June 2024, and the database file ZYPKG_INFO.tgz. So I think someone b0rked up the database file when updating GoogleDriveClient.

• JustAnotherUser
    JustAnotherUser Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    Community MVP 10 Comments First Answer Friend Collector

@Mijzelf "then why didn't he update the database file as well?"
    Yes, he/she should update the DB as well, but that's not the point IMO.
    The most important thing here is that there are packages with a different checksum as expected and that's enough for me.
    I'm not going to install anything, I use my NAS for private/important documents.

Anyway, Zyxel support team already wrote me they're investigating the issue.

• lee626
    lee626 Posts: 5  Freshman Member
    First Comment

I am having the same issue with PHP-MySQL-phpMyAdmin, however when trying @Mizjelf solution. I encounter two issues. 1. When using WinSCP and editing the ZYPKGS file It does upload however comes up with "Insufficient permissions. I am logging into WinSCP with the admin credentials.

2. Secondly when I try to disconnect from the internet to stop the file from being overwritten and begin the installation, all apps in the app center disappear including PHP, upon reconnecting I am left with "Unknown error" under the PHP tile.

Any ideas on what to do next Mijzelf ?

• suisei
    suisei Posts: 97  Ally Member
    First Anniversary First Answer 10 Comments Friend Collector

Are you using root or admin for access?
    Trying with root access and using SFTP to upload the file might help with this.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 867  Zyxel Employee
    Second Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
    Answer ✓

Hi @Joerg , @JustAnotherUser and all

Apologies for the delayed response.

We understand that this issue could affect the device's usability. We've identified the root cause and are planning to address it with a firmware update. However, this model has already reached its EOL (End of Life) status, development will take some time because of its limited support, and we'll keep you informed of our progress.

In the meantime, if you need a quick resolution, you might want to try the method suggested by @Mijzelf here:

Kay

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• Joerg

@Zyxel_Kay

I used Mijzelf's method and it works.

Consumer Product Help Center