NWA55AXE as a repeater together with NWA50AX PRO (root AP)

Mar_Cin
Mar_Cin Posts: 7  Freshman Member
Friend Collector First Comment

Hey Community!
I'm struggling with setting up NWA55AXE as a repeater together with NWA50AX PRO (root AP).. Is this something possible or not? Can you help me out?

I already own 2 x NWA50AX PRO and I wanted to extend my network outside my house by connecting NWA55AXE to one of my NWA50AX PRO by enabling smart mesh on all devices AP. I manually selected Uplink for NWA55AXE to point one of my NWA50AX PRO (the other has Downlink disabled in smart Mesh options)

I applied all configuration, I wated 10-15 minutes until NWA55AXE aquired configuration from Nebula and then I disconnected LAN from NWA55AXE hoping it will connect eventually with my current AP.. but that didnt happen…

What Im doing wrong? do I missing something?
I was looking at knowledgebase articlles and tutorials, but so far no luck…

Any Idea?

Please help

Mar_Cin

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 1,394  Zyxel Employee
    1000 Comments Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch
    edited September 27 Answer ✓

Hi @Mar_Cin ,

Should I leave 2.4GHz radios all DCS? or should I fix them on a specific channel?

We recommend setting DCS to AP scan mode and select the optimal channel for your network environment.

Should Repeater and root AP be on the same channel if i decide to set them manually?

The repeater and root AP should operate on the same channel.

Note that: signal strength decreases with distance and obstacles (e.g., doors, walls). For best performance, maintain line-of-sight between your root AP and repeater AP.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free!https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    1000 Comments Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch

HI @Mar_Cin ,

In case the smart mesh connection couldn't be established, please:

• Make sure APs are provisioned using wired connection before deploying repeater APs into their actual positions. All APs must show configuration status is "Up to date" before deployment.
    • Fine-tune the deployment of root and repeater location. APs must be deployed in the signal covered area (recommended –70dBm or above) while uplink AP is within line-of-sight of repeater.

For more detailed information please refer to:

[Nebula] How to extend wireless coverage by configure smart mesh? — Zyxel Community

If you've followed the above recommendation and the issue persists, please enable Zyxel support.

Additionally, please provide us with the name of your Nebula organization/site here or via the private message by clinking to my account > Message.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free!https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• Mar_Cin
    Mar_Cin Posts: 7  Freshman Member
    Friend Collector First Comment
    edited September 26

Hi @Zyxel_Judy
    While I was waiting for your response, I was able to set up things correctly… I took me AGES to figure it out… and NWA55AXE takes ages (~20min - very concerning!) to sync config with cloud (unlike my other 2 NWA50AX Pro ~1-2 mins…)

I had to use 2.4Ghz interface, as 5Ghz signal was too weak in the deployment area
    Now its around -66dB with Uplink TX/RX ~154/154 - which is kind of poor, but root AP is inside my house, and NWA55AXE is outside 10m away from house - I need to rethink how to manage that.

I have a question in regards to Radio settings configurations..
    Should I leave 2.4GHz radios all DCS? or should I fix them on a specific channel?
    Should Repeater and root AP be on the same channel if i decide to set them manually?

Thanks
    Mar_Cin

• Zyxel_Judy
    edited September 27 Answer ✓

Hi @Mar_Cin ,

We recommend setting DCS to AP scan mode and select the optimal channel for your network environment.

The repeater and root AP should operate on the same channel.

Note that: signal strength decreases with distance and obstacles (e.g., doors, walls). For best performance, maintain line-of-sight between your root AP and repeater AP.

Nebula Tips & Tricks