Options
124»

All Replies

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,367  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback.
    The OpenVPN will not be supported in near future. However, we are still evaluating those most popular VPN application to be supported in our upcoming plan.
  • stephensystemsinc
    Options
    Hello, I hope you are having a nice day.  I also have several clients who are asking about OpenVPN support.  Do you have any updates on the timeline for implementation?  Thanks again for your help, have a wonderful day!

Steve.
  • Zyxel_Kevin
    Zyxel_Kevin Posts: 769  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    Hi @stephensystemsinc,
    Thanks for your feedback. OpenVPN still haven't schedule to implement.
    Thanks your 
    Kevin
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,304  Guru Member
    Options
    I'm sorry @Zyxel_Kevin but I find improper "still has not schedule".
    Most proper, after 36 months is "Zyxel decided to not implement it".

I have the opinion that part of motivations are due to less (zero) revenues that Zyxel could have from the licenses of client software, while now Zyxel takes revenues from IPSec and SSL client, in recent months translated from one-time fee for the single version (not more for sale AFAIK) to subscription.
  • Zyxel_Kevin
    Options
    Hi @mMontana
    Sorry for the confusion. I have to correct my statement. 
    For ATP/FLEX series we still haven't scheduled to implement.
    But The feature is on the roadmap of the new models. Please see this post.
    Kevin
  • mMontana
    Options
    @Zyxel_Kevin it's since ZLD 3.x that a modified version of TAP driver is used by SSL VPN. Is at core of SecuExtender. TAP driver was used for a long time by OpenVPN, now tagging along with Wintun for Layer 3 (and more compact) connections.
    According to some forums, ZLD firmwares version 3.xx began to be released during 2012, but also within ZLD 2.xx SSL VPN was still an option even for USG 20 (only one).
    According to that, might be at least 10 years Zyxel is using part of OpenVPN project component for the devices that delivers on the market but without allowing customers to use the GPL client, only the customized one. Maybe the SSL saga have few more episodes, starting with Zywall 1050 and ZLD 2.x. So the decision seem stale and taken for good.

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 104  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Security
    Options
    I am of the same opinion as @mMontana
    Openvpn (and now wireguard) have been requested by the community for many years, but zyxel does not listen to its customers and partners. now it is announced for the next generation, but the USG platform goes EOL at the end of december 2022 and these new atp devices will never get this feature.
    it is a shame how zyxel is developing alongside the market in this area!

• Zyxel_Kevin
    Options
    Hi @mMontana, @Mario
    Thanks you suggestion. Unfortunately we current don't have plan to implement OpenVPN on ATP/FLEX series. However, instead of OpenVPN, the ATP/FLEX series can support "L2TP", "Native ikev2" and "Secuextender VPN" solution for Laptop/PC/Mobile/iOS VPN requirements
    For more information about to how to configure it, you may refer to the link below
  • mMontana
    Options
    Hi @purelight01,

Currently ZyWALL/USG doesn't support OpenVPN.

Thanks for your suggestion and we will evaluate it in the future if it is beneficial.

October 2019.

@SoundsLike &@MAD

Currently ZyWALL/USG doesn't support OpenVPN.

Thanks for your suggestion and we will evaluate it in the future if it is beneficial.

Aprile 2020.
    Unfortunately we current don't have plan to implement OpenVPN on ATP/FLEX series.
    Kevin
    I'm sorry, but I can't stand what's written there.
    No luck involved, it's a pure matter of will.
    A this lead to another l word, much more respondent to facts: lies.

Something that customers take with a touch of anger and generate disrespect and lack of empathy.
    Customers should understand the necessity for revenues, profits, scalability, non-overlapping (not too much) product lines and segmentation. Zyxel during the decades unfortunately dropped a (redacted)load of overlapping, competing, unreliable (WAP 3205 P9 firmware anyone?) products. Happens.
    But if you lie to customers, they will piss off. Big time. Remember that an angry customer can lead the loss from five to ten at least...
  • Zyxel_Vic
    Zyxel_Vic Posts: 281  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    Hi @mMontana
    We apologized for making certain misunderstanding to you, actually, we did do the evaluation on this feature. Just the marketing conditions is also a big factor in deploying a new feature which is not showed in the specs.
    If this is a key feature you suggest to be implemented on our firewall products, we'd like to invite you to inform your requirement with our Zyxel local representative so that our regional market development team can help to do further investigation in the market conditions regarding to this feature.

Thank you for your always honest feedback.

Security Highlight