[FWA510/515] - It's possible to execute a PPPoE over VLAN using the LAN/WAN port?
All Replies
-
I think this:
PPPoE up&running: ETHWAN 82.74.X.X → passed to External interface on 500H (PPPoE Passthrought)
PPPoE not working → Cellular backup: 10.50.X.X → passed to External interface on 500H (Cellular IP Passthrought)
Then: all devices connected to 500H use the external interface to communicate on internet.
You have the H Series: how can I configure an external interface without DHCP? I don't remember and now I cannot access to my 500H
0 -
But you need it to be DHCP…
0 -
Oh yes sorry! You're right, obviously is not fixed, sorry!! :)
0 -
Hi @Zyxel_Tina,
can you confirm my theory?
The FWA515 WAN port can be configured also with PPPoE Encapsulation with VLAN, then I can enable the PPPoE Passthrough.
So there are several question:
- If I enable the PPPoE Passthrough, the IP released by the PPPoE, can be passed to the LAN2 uplink?
- If I enable the PPPoE Passthrough, can I also activate Cellular IP Passthrough and in this way have both togheter enabled?
- If I have both passthroughs enabled, is correct that can I have the LAN2 connected to the P1 into the USG Flex 500H, configured as an simply External Ethernet with the option to obtain the IP via DHCP enabled?
So in this way:
- The management of WAN backups are fully demanded to a one single device (the FWA, when I have the PPPoE up&running, I use the Fiber Channel as main connection, otherwise if the PPPoE drops, the FWA use the 5G as backup and the main connection is automatically switched)
- I use one single port on the 500H that use one single external interface
- I don't need a double NAT because I activate the Passthroughs and the internal traffic on the 500H is auto-redirect into the P1 port for the WAN that have directly the external public WAN IP and not another internal IP
Can you tell me if all works in the property manner, as I think?
Do you have the opportunity to try this approach in any of your labs?Thank you
0 -
Hi @Maverick87,
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your patience while we looked into this further.
We can confirm that PPPoE Passthrough on the FWA515 is not currently supported. To avoid confusion, this option will be removed in a future firmware release.
Regarding your questions:
- The FWA515's Ethernet WAN can be configured with PPPoE Encapsulation and VLAN, but enabling PPPoE Passthrough on top of that is not supported
- As a result, the IP obtained via PPPoE cannot be reliably passed through to the LAN2 uplink.
- PPPoE Passthrough cannot be combined with Cellular IP Passthrough, so the single-uplink design you described (FWA515 handling both PPPoE and cellular failover internally, passing one active public IP to the USG FLEX 500H) is not feasible
Given this, our recommendation remains the Dual-WAN setup on the USG FLEX 500H:
- PPPoE over VLAN configured directly on one WAN interface (P1)
- FWA515 used as the cellular backup on a second WAN interface (P2), in Router mode
- Active/Passive failover managed on the firewall (Network > Interface > Trunk)
We appreciate your understanding!
Zyxel Tina
0 -
Hi @Zyxel_Tina,
Oh no!! Why the PPPoE Passthrough is deprecated? Can be an important things!!! There is a way to reimplement this functionality?
If I open an idea, can be taken in consideration?
Thank you
0 -
Hi @Maverick87,
As mentioned previously, PPPoE Passthrough is not supported on the FWA515. The option displayed in the GUI was a misplacement, and we sincerely apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
Regarding the implementation of this functionality, we noticed that you have created an idea post. This will help us evaluate the feature request. We will also monitor votes and comments as part of the evaluation process. If anyone would like to support this idea, please leave a comment or vote on the post.
Zyxel Tina
0
Categories
- All Categories
- 442 Beta Program
- 3.1K Nebula
- 241 Nebula Ideas
- 6.8K Security
- 755 USG FLEX H Series
- 380 Security Ideas
- 1.8K Switch
- 87 Switch Ideas
- 1.5K Wireless
- 58 Wireless Ideas
- 7.2K Consumer Product
- 321 Service & License
- 512 News and Release
- 99 Security Advisories
- 31 Education Center
- 10 [Campaign] Zyxel Network Detective
- 5.3K FAQ
- 34 Documents
- 90 About Community
- 119 Security Highlight
Master Member
Guru Member
Zyxel Employee