Add hard drive

Options
EricThoren
EricThoren Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited November 2017 in Personal Cloud Storage
I already have one hard drive in my NAS326. Now I want to add another to expand the capacity.

How do I add the second hard drive and make it expand the previous volume or disk group so that the sum of the both disks capacity "turns to one in total"?

The first disk appears in the Store Manager as "basic (Disk1)" and the second now as "basic (Disk2)". But they appear to be in different Disk Groups (Disk 1 is in Disk Group 2 and Disk 2 is in Disk group 1).

Thanks!

#NAS_November

All Replies

• Mihawk
    Mihawk Posts: 103  Ally Member
    Options
    Hi @EricThoren
    What kind of Array type do you want to use?
    According to user's guide and Zyxel KB, it seems basic can't expand directly as basic only can change type to RAID 1.
    https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!viewDetail.action?articleOid=015007&lang=EN

If you want to use two disks as single volume, then you should recreate the volume, or make the both disks as two volume, and select the volume while you create a new shared folder.
  • EricThoren
    Options
    OK Mihawk, thanks - I was afraid of that. Now I have to remove the data (approx 1,5 TB) and start all over again...
  • EricThoren
    Options
    Hm, checked it now, it seems that I can do this without doing it over again..

BUT, checked in my NAS, and I don't have any Volume mounted - only disks. From that point I don't understand how to go forward...
  • Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    Options
    @EricThoren
    If you have moved your data out and already put the 2 HDDs in your slots, then you can create the new volume, normal volume or group volume both are fine, for me I prefer normal volume. 
    RAID 0 and JBOD can make multiple HDDs as single volume, but if you concern read/write speed, then you can create it as RAID 0, then copy your data back to new volume.

Consumer Product Help Center