NAS326 SMB shares windows problem

vprasinos
vprasinos Posts: 10  Freshman Member
edited December 2017 in Personal Cloud Storage
I just found this forum coming from nas-central so I'm going to ask this here also.

I am trying to move any file from a folder in the nas326 to another folder in the nas326 in windows 7. For some reason the move process is really slow! It needs to copy the file first at a rate of about 4MB/sec and then delete it from the source folder.

If I do this with SSH and midnight commander the move process is instant, no copy and then delete, just move, as it should be for a move process.

How can I do this in windows? Do I need to mess with the smb.conf file and if so can this be done since the smb.conf is created at boot time from firmware?

Note the files are not used by any process

Thank you

#NAS_December

Accepted Solution

• vprasinos
    Answer ✓
    I can now answer this myself as I found the answer in another forum.

Transferring files between different share paths is a limitation of the SMB protocol. Samba client (windows) treats them as separate filesystems hence the full copy and delete instead of a simple path rename. If you want to do a "snappy" move then the paths should be the same i.e. \\Nas326\hd1\TV Shows\sample.mkv to \\Nas326\hd1\sample.mkv.

Now you can overcome this limitation (thanks Mijzelf) by creating a symbolic link to the root folder of the hard disk being shared and then all of the paths will be a part of the same "root" path.

1. Ssh into the nas and type:
    #cd /i-data/sysvol
    #ln -s . "root"

2. We created a symbolic link to the folder root pointing to the actual root folder of the whole hard drive. Now if we go into the control panel of the nas, we can enable the share.

3. We access the shares from windows and in our example \\Nas326\root\admin\!torrents\sample.mkv
    can be moved instantly to \\Nas326\root\hd1\TV Shows\sample.mkv

All Replies

• Fredzoul1
    Fredzoul1 Posts: 97  Ally Member
    Hi @vprasinos
    Are you checked your LAN if you are really in Gigalan ?
  • vprasinos
    Dear Fredzou1,

I fail to see how this correlates to my problem? And yes, I am in Gigalan and I can move fine files from my nas enabled router from one folder to another folder on the same nas router in a fraction of a second.

Do the nas326 smb shares need to be used as root maybe?
  • Fredzoul1
    Fredzoul1 Posts: 97  Ally Member
    edited December 2017
    In your explication, you explain you use midnight commander to move files inside NAS, this solution don't use your network, but it's a simple "move" inside the nas himself. In reality the file don't move, but the location path change.
    No, SMB don't need root to be used.
    What's you version of windows ?
    Can you make test with the soft LAN SPEED TEST (free download : http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed)
    Are you connected by Ethernet cable ?
    If yes, check on the propriety of your network card if you are really in 1GB ? (See picture below)

• vprasinos
    Here's my network but it has nothing to do with it since we're talking about file operations on the same hard drive, the move operation should be occuring instantly instead of a lengthy copy/delete process.

I have new data right now:
    If I try to move files from the same share to the same share, the move process happens instantly. For example if I try to move the file sample.mkv from \\Nas326\hd1\TV Shows to \\Nas326\hd1\ it happens in an instant using file explorer in windows.

The problem remains when I want  to move a file from/to a different share e.g. from \\Nas326\admin\!torrents to \\Nas326\hd1\TV Shows.

Thanks

• vprasinos
    Answer ✓
    I can now answer this myself as I found the answer in another forum.

Transferring files between different share paths is a limitation of the SMB protocol. Samba client (windows) treats them as separate filesystems hence the full copy and delete instead of a simple path rename. If you want to do a "snappy" move then the paths should be the same i.e. \\Nas326\hd1\TV Shows\sample.mkv to \\Nas326\hd1\sample.mkv.

Now you can overcome this limitation (thanks Mijzelf) by creating a symbolic link to the root folder of the hard disk being shared and then all of the paths will be a part of the same "root" path.

1. Ssh into the nas and type:
    #cd /i-data/sysvol
    #ln -s . "root"

2. We created a symbolic link to the folder root pointing to the actual root folder of the whole hard drive. Now if we go into the control panel of the nas, we can enable the share.

3. We access the shares from windows and in our example \\Nas326\root\admin\!torrents\sample.mkv
    can be moved instantly to \\Nas326\root\hd1\TV Shows\sample.mkv

• Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    @vprasinos
    If you would like to move data from shared folder to shared folder through WIndows, that I recommend you to use NAS file browser or terminal to move data, becouse through Windows, the data would copy to your PC first and to NAS shared folder.
    So use file browser or terminal with move command will be more faster then windows.
  • JaybeeCZ
    JaybeeCZ Posts: 1
    Update for (probably) new firmware in 2020:
    I was not able to get the web-based file browser/setting tool to see my created symlink folder (called 'root' in the accepted answer). I've tried it to create under both users admin and root, but with no luck. The web administration tool refuses to see it.

But as a workaround I did the following:
    I've created new shared folder 'shared_root' via the web-gui. After that I've filled it with the individual wanted subshares via the linux ssh command line (you can use e.g. putty SSH client for this) with ln -s commands, e.g.:

$ cd /i-data/sysvol/shared_root  # I've created this folder 'share_root' via web browser
    $ ln -s ../music music
    $ ln -s ../video video

Feel free to add all the wanted individual shares to appear in this unified single share (which you can then map as network drive in Windows if you wish)

Consumer Product Help Center