Unable to change admin password via GUI on NAS326

Options
2»

Comments

• Jassu
    Jassu Posts: 5  Freshman Member
    Options
    As on option trying also to find a possibility to downgrade the firmware to version  V5.21(AAZF.6)C0 where the admin password change would work. And after that I could do the upgrade again.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,617  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    bunny Zyxel, how the h*ll you are making these kind of updates that break things?

They were facing an actively exploited zeroday. Just leave it was not an option.

As on option trying also to find a possibility to downgrade the firmware to version  V5.21(AAZF.6)C0 where the admin password change would work. And after that I could do the upgrade again.
    Sounds like a plan.
  • Jassu
    Options
    The system wont allow donwgrades, so it seems that path is not working.

I understand they could not leave it like that, but now the thing is that admin-password is impossible to change if "one beep reset" is not working. At least they could allow that admin-account pw change without knowing the old one.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,617  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    You can downgrade if your first execute

echo 1 > /firmware/mnt/info/revision

• Jassu
    Options
    Cheers mate! That solved the thing :smile:

So what I did...

1)  connected via ssh to NAS and executed : "echo 1 > /firmware/mnt/info/revision"

2) Downloaded older FW from Zyxel's archive

3) login to NAS GUI with alternative admin account (not user called 'admin')

4) Downgraded the FW via manual upload

5) login to admin with old admin account with a password containing special characters (that were not allowed anymore)

6) changed password to non-special-character one (with this FW it was ok to give that special pw as an old one).

7) installed latest FW version again.

... all good.

Consumer Product Help Center