Remove disk from disk group

Options
Yagami
Yagami Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited March 2018 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi i have a nas542
A had 2 disk in raid1 and i want to expand it to 3disk and raid5, but when i add the new disk i accidently choosed expand disk group instead of change raid type, How can i change my 3 disk raid1 group to raid5?
Thx

#NAS_March

All Replies

• Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    Options
    Hi @Yagami
    Here you can refer the knowlege base article: https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!viewDetail.action?articleOid=015008&lang=EN
    Hope this can help you.
  • Yagami
    Options
    Hi Ijnsri!

Thx for your answer.
    I alredy saw this, but can't help me. Because i can't even edit my disk group. I need to remove first one of the hdd from the 3 disk raid1 group, and after that i can use the method you linked in. But i don't know how to remove a disk from the 3 disk raid1 group.
  • Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    Options
    You mean that you have 3 disks and already used for RAID 1? not 2 disks only?
    If that so, you may not be able to change RAID type from 1 to 5, and if you want to expand, then there 2 ways for you as 1. copy out all data from NAS540 to another/external HDD, then create RAID 5 and copy all data back to NAS540, 2. add 4th HDD, then you can expand RAID and capacity.

• Yagami
    Options
    Yes, as i said when i add the 3rd disk, i choose expand, instead of change raid type in the disk group edit menu. I already tried the 2. way you suggest, but donesn't work either, because when i add the 4. disk and choose change raid type, select the new 4. hdd, select raid5 and confirm that. The NAS doesn't do this at all. Instead add my 4. hdd to hotspair, this is really strange or obviously i missing something. So my conclusion is your 1. option is my only way.

Consumer Product Help Center