NAS326 - Not going to sleep

photizo
photizo Posts: 6  Freshman Member
edited March 2018 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi, I have a NAS326 with a Seagate IronWolf 4Tb. After filling the drive with 3.2 Tb Data the drive won't go to sleep mode any more. I didn't install any extra apps, even uninstalled the ZyXELcloud. Just the Twonky server is working and indexing was finished according to the twonky page.
Any idea why the drive is constantly working? Defrag???

#NAS_March

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    Hi @photizo
    Can you screenshot the top command via telnet to see what program running at background?
    Please also check again myzyxelcoud, the package might would be auto installed again.
    If the package install again, try disable thumbnail feature, and check can NAS move to sleep mode.
  • photizo
    telnet? top command? sorry, you have to help me :s
    How do I acces this?

• photizo
    edited March 2018
    But it is getting significantly quieter after disabling the thumbnail-function! Awesome - Thx!
    I just have to wait 15 minutes to check if it goes to sleep...
  • Ijnrsi
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓
    Enable Telnet/SSH, go control panel > terminal, then you will see it.
    Telnet/ssh tool you can find the one you like from here:
    https://www.smarthomebeginner.com/best-ssh-clients-windows-putty-alternatives/

The login account and password are the same admin/password, and command is "top", then you can see the following screen, and it is from: https://www.howtogeek.com/107217/how-to-manage-processes-from-the-linux-terminal-10-commands-you-need-to-know/

Since now you already disable thumbnail, and become quieter, your NAS might can sleep now.
  • photizo
    Everything is fine :) Thx for your help!
  • baybora
    baybora Posts: 29  Freshman Member
    Where & how can I dlsable the thumbnail function to get more silence nas326 
  • Ijnrsi
    You can see the icon of myZyXELcloud at your NAS desktop page as below:

Then click it and you will the the item:

Disable it, then the thumbnail will stop and CPU decrease.
  • baybora
    baybora Posts: 29  Freshman Member
    I did it thanks a lot :) 
  • jan_filipec
    jan_filipec Posts: 9  Freshman Member
    Hi, is your NAS326 sleeping completely? The discs go to sleep, but the device doesn't and the fan is spinning constantly which is pretty annoying.
    I know I can turn it off completely after some time, but not sure if there is a way to run wake on LAN automatically when someone tries to access the drive on network?
  • Ijnrsi
    @jan_filipec

If someone to access your NAS via network, and the HDD will be woke on, then the LED will change from slow blink to fast blink.
    And sleep feature is for power saving, not for security purpose, such as Windows PC or MAC, when it in sleep mode, network is still working and possible to be woke on LAN.
    So, the best way of security concern, shut down it when you doesn't need to use.

Consumer Product Help Center