NAS540 backup using rsync?

Options
tsalmi123
tsalmi123 Posts: 4  Freshman Member
edited May 2018 in Personal Cloud Storage
Has anyone managed to use this feature successfully? I am trying to initiate a rsync backup job to a remote linux system but I keep getting "connection broken in socket" errors when clicking on "show target content".

Does all traffic go through SSH or is port 873 also used? Either way, it doesn't work for me.

Any help appreciated!
#NAS_May

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,610  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    The box doesn't have rsync. The 'Backup Planer' package contains a copy of zysync, which is a (non-compatible) derivative of rsync, which uses the same port.

If you want rsync, you'll have to use a 3th party package like Entware-ng or RandomTools

And don't forget to disable/uninstall Backup Planer, because it will keep the rsync port occupied.
  • tsalmi123
    Options
    That weird, to say at least. Why do they literally offer it to us as rsync in backup planner? Go figure. I'll give the 3rd party tools a try. Thanks!
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,610  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Why do they literally offer it to us as rsync in backup planner?
    Really? Didn't see that before. Maybe my information is outdated by now. The firmware rsync clone used to be incompatible, but maybe that is cured in the latest update.
    On the other hand, it still doesn't work for you.
  • tsalmi123
    Options
    Maybe they added this feature in a more recent firmware upgrade. Or tried at least :smiley: I opened a support ticket, so let's see what Zyxel has to say about it. I'll keep you posted!
  • tsalmi123
    Options
    I'm still in discussion with support. However, a couple things have been confirmed so far.
    • It is rsync compatible (version 3.0.9 and  protocol version 30)
    • rsync needs to run in daemon mode listening to TCP port 873
    Now, if it would only work...

Consumer Product Help Center