Using Zyxel Multy X with ISP Modem/Router

Eeperman
Eeperman Posts: 4  Freshman Member
edited August 2018 in Multy WiFi System
Hi all

i have broadband with BT and use the standard BT Homehub. I have just purchased a Multy X to boost the WiFi coverage in my house and am a bit confused how to set it up with the Homehub. The hub does not allow bridge (modem only) mode so it has to stay acting as a router. Do I just plug in the Multy X into an Ethernet port and set up as normal? Or do I have to change any of the settings on the Multy? My understanding is that the Multy acts as a router also, but I believe that you can’t have two routers on the same network. 

The alternative is is to try and get a simple modem out of BT, but I don’t think they hand those out any more. 

Many thanks

#MultyX_Aug

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Steven
    Zyxel_Steven Posts: 246  Zyxel Employee
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    @Eeperman,

It depends on your usage to choose Multy X as router mode or bridge mode.

1.) Multy X is router mode, you may need to put your original device under Multy X.
    Internet---BT Homehub(Modem)<LAN>---<WAN>1st Multy X)))<WLAN>(((2nd Multy X
    This setting have double NAT environment. Because BT Homehub and Multy X has different network segment. If the client device is connect to BT Homehub, it may not able to communicate with under Multy X client device.

2.) Multy X is bridge mode, you can keep your original device environment.
    In this case, it has the same network segment. All IP will assign from BT Homehub DHCP server.

After you have setup Multy X WiFi System, you can go to "Settings" > "Network Mode" to change Multy X as router mode or bridge mode.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Steven
    Zyxel_Steven Posts: 246  Zyxel Employee
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    @Eeperman,

It depends on your usage to choose Multy X as router mode or bridge mode.

1.) Multy X is router mode, you may need to put your original device under Multy X.
    This setting have double NAT environment. Because BT Homehub and Multy X has different network segment. If the client device is connect to BT Homehub, it may not able to communicate with under Multy X client device.

2.) Multy X is bridge mode, you can keep your original device environment.
    In this case, it has the same network segment. All IP will assign from BT Homehub DHCP server.

After you have setup Multy X WiFi System, you can go to "Settings" > "Network Mode" to change Multy X as router mode or bridge mode.

• Eeperman
    Eeperman Posts: 4  Freshman Member
    Thank you Steven. I have set the system up and it seems to be working fine in NAT mode so I may just leave it alone!

Consumer Product Help Center