How to start a custom service on the NAS 325 v2

Options
rozelak
rozelak Posts: 1
edited January 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hello
I have the Zyxel NSA325 v2 NAS storage with the original firmware version: V4.81(AALS.1)

Now I want to run syncthing application on it. The syncthing is not originally supported by the packages available, but it works without problems on my NAS when unpacked and started manually. 

What I need is to start the syncthing automatically when the NAS boots up. I have created 'syncthing' init script, but I am not able to plug it into the boot sequence. First, I have copied it into '/etc/init.d', but it disappeared from there every new boot. Then I installed it into '/usr/local/zy-pkgs/etc/init.d/', when it remains, but it still is not started (manual start by calling '/usr/local/zy-pkgs/etc/init.d/syncthing start' works, though).

Don't you know, what I am missing? Is there something, which must be carried out to convince the init system to call the startup script?

Thank you very much.

#NAS_Jan_2019

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You created your script to obey the canonical commands 'start' and 'stop'? That's not the ZyXEL way. It should be 'startup' and 'shutdown'. Don't ask me why.
    (Don't bother about the other 3 commands. They are only needed for real packages)
  • gbmolina
    gbmolina Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    Options
    Hi, could you possibly point me to a download of Syncthing that would work on a NSA320S? it would be awesome if I could get it running on my NAS. Thanks.
  • jcwrh
    jcwrh Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello Rozelak,

How did you manage to get syncthing running on nsa325 v2? You stated that you unpacked and started manually. What exactly did you unpack and where, and how did you start this manually?

Grtz,

jcwrh

Consumer Product Help Center