NAS540: Update of MySQL?

Options
JockeSve
JockeSve Posts: 80  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited February 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Is there a way to update MySQL version from current (5.1.73) to more up to date(like 5.7) or even to MariaDB 10.2 (or newer)? 

#NAS_Feb_2019

All Replies

• bigdyl69
    bigdyl69 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I've been looking for something similar as I want to convert the MySQL tables to InnoDB which isn't possible with hte old version of MySQL (5.1.73 and InnoDB support came in at v5.5+).

Anyone know if this can be done?
  • JockeSve
    Options
    As Zyxel seems to have abandoned all support of 540 entirely the chance is minimal that the update is coming, like ever. 
    I don't have any idea of on what level the 542 runs, but if that's newer: maybe (hopefully!) someone with skills could port that package to 540 as well... 
  • Mabenan
    Mabenan Posts: 1
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Ok after days of work i finally get MySQL in version 5.7 running. Here are the steps i really don't know any more what i have to install but the logs will tell you.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATTENTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this will install a second mysql in the /opt folder

1. First you need to install Entware how To you find here https://github.com/Entware/Entware/wiki/Install-on-Zyxel-NAS542
    2. Add /opt/bin and /opt/sbin to the path
    3. Then you need to install CMake from Source https://github.com/Entware/Entware-ng/issues/672 ATTENTION: you have to adjust the prefix to /opt
    4. Then you need the git clone of the mysql-server https://github.com/mysql/mysql-server/tree/5.7
    5. Then you need to create a folder "bld" in the clone and cd in it
    6. Then you need to generate the cmake files this you do the following
      cmake .. -DDOWNLOAD_BOOST=1 -DWITH_BOOST=1 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt
    7. After it is succesfully finished you have to enter the following:
      cmake --build . --target install --config release
    So now the tricky point i mentioned in the intro the creation of CMake and MySQL will fail you have to install thousand of libs the console output will tell you what is missing. First try to install the libs over entware if this fails install the search for the sources in the internet and install it with make or cmake. After you installed a lib remove the "bld" folder and start over at point 6 otherwise it gets bugy.

I recommend to do that only if you a fluent in linux commands and cmake building.

PS: I takes a lot of time for the cmake commands so i recommend to setup screen over entware and to run the commands in an screen session that is detachable

• JockeSve
    Options
    Well, thanks but my skills doesn't pass following requirement: 
    I recommend to do that only if you a fluent in linux commands and cmake building.

;) 

I've almost giving up the Zyxel MySQL feature due to poor/non-existent updates and running it with RPi4 together with PiHole.

Consumer Product Help Center