Any way to get to data on now-obsolete NSA310?

Options
HappyChris
HappyChris Posts: 1
edited April 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Recently my NSA310 has stopped responding, probably due to changes in Win 10 and MacOS SMB requirements. I have made some headway with setting the Win 10 network, changing from 'can't find it'  to being able to see SMB 1 - where there was no connection at all before, there is now access to the login screen but just a black screen (sometimes with 'thinking about it' icon, sometimes not.

I tried removing the HDD and inserting it in an USB drive case but it couldn't read it at all. Might this be the NSA's file system? I would be surprised if the disk is encrypted.  Maybe if I swapped the disk to a case and plugged it into a Linux machine?

Anyway, is there anything that I and others can do to make this device work again with MacOS andor Windows, please?

#NAS_Apr_2019

All Replies

• Rory
    Rory Posts: 120  Ally Member
    Options
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,613  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    I tried removing the HDD and inserting it in an USB drive case but it couldn't read it at all. Might this be the NSA's file system? I would be surprised if the disk is encrypted.  Maybe if I swapped the disk to a case and plugged it into a Linux machine?
    The 310 originally used the XFS filesystem (as you can see here). It is possible that later firmwares used ext3, when setting up a volume. For ext3 Windows drivers are available, but the filesystem is inside a software raid container, which make it hard to access. But any Linux box should have no problems with it.

Consumer Product Help Center