I don't seem able to use my NAS any more

Options
Rowan
Rowan Posts: 5  Freshman Member
edited April 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
I have an NSA310, with a 4TB disk attached via USB. The original disk of the NAS is completely full, the add-on disk is about 50% full. I need to create some new folders on the add-on disk, but when I try to do this via Windows Explorer, it says "you need permission to perform this action" and won't let me proceed. I am using Windows 8.1. How do I get it to allow me to modify the folder structure of the disk, and copy new files to it?

Thanks - Rowan

#NAS_Apr_2019

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Have you previously been able to create directories on that disk, using the NAS?
  • Rowan
    Options
    Can't be 100% sure, but I think so, yes.

Rowan
  • Rowan
    Options
    Today when I try to access the NAS (which appears with its name NSA310 in Windows Explorer) it says:

[Window Title]
    Network Error

[Main Instruction]
    Windows cannot access \\NSA310

[Content]
    You do not have permission to access \\NSA310. Contact your network administrator to request access.

For more information about permissions, see Windows Help and Support

[Close]

How do I get to be able to connect to the NAS from Windows Explorer?

How do I attempt to give a different username and password for the connection?

Recent versions of Windows seem to have become so paranoid about security that they are more or less unusable. I do not have a security problem, as far as I know. My computers are on a small LAN, with only two users (my wife and myself). No-one is going to try to hack into my PC, or my wife's, unless someone can get in through my internet modem/router. For me, it would be better to go back to a much simpler security model that allows me (as admin) to access anything at all.

Thanks - Rowan
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    How do I attempt to give a different username and password for the connection?

It's some time ago I used Windows (and never used Windows 8+). On W7 you could logout from all network stuff from the command prompt:

net session /DELETE

• Keirah
    Keirah Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    Options

Even i had similar issues while accessing my NAS good questions . 

Consumer Product Help Center