nsa325v2 says no hard disks installed

Options
JPDoc
JPDoc Posts: 8
First Anniversary First Comment
edited May 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
My nsa325v2 has been working fine for a few years - it has two 3tb Toshiba HDs in it in a Raid 1 configuration.  I leave it turned off at home and use wake on lan to start it up, which has worked fine.  Just last month when I started it I saw that it reported "no volumes".  I reseated the drives, checked the firmware was up to date, restarted - still no volumes.  As it seemed unlikely that both drives failed at the same time I mounted them individually on a Centos 7 linux system.  They both could be seen and I managed to recover all the data from one of them but when I plugged them back into the NAS it again said that there were no disks present. 
I have cleaned out the disk sockets, opened up the NAS and checked all connections and could see no obvious damage.  Still no disks reported so I can't even create a new volume and use the unit.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

#NAS_May_2019

Comments

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    My guess is that either the power supply from the NAS is failing, not able to provide enough juice to spin up the disks, or the dc/dc convertors on the NAS' mobo (which have to step down the 19V from the power supply to 5 and 12V for the disks) are failing.
  • JPDoc
    Options
    Many thanks for this - I hadn't considered the power supply, as I foolishly thought it either worked or it didn't.  I switched it for another equivalent one and the NAS can see the disks now.  Probably co-incidentally one is failing SMART so I'll replace it and restripe.

Thanks again for your excellent suggestion!
  • JPDoc
    Options
    Disc replaced, repaired and all good now.  Thanks again!
  • dnelsonuk
    Options
    JPDoc, i think I might have the same problem. I have same setup as you (2 3tb drives in RAID 1). My NSA 325 powers up, but only the blue light is on (none of the green drive lights flash). The fan is spinning.
    Can I ask what power supply you replaced your failing one with. I'm not  hardware engineer, but pretty desperate as I have my entire music collection on theses drives ((2500+ CDs) :-(
    Las time I looked the disk were healthy. I believe NSA 325 has it's own file format. Do you know any alternatives for accessing theses disks? (I note you mentioned Linux, but I only have my HP Spectre laptop running Windows 10. Any help appreciated! Thanks! 

Consumer Product Help Center