Initialization Wizard formated my disk! How can I recover them?

Options
markusp
markusp Posts: 2  Freshman Member
First Anniversary
edited August 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
By accident I run Initialization Wizard on my ZyXel nsa 325v2.
After the all steps I saw that my disks (working in RAID 1) (which was full of family photos) is blank! all gone ;(
How Can I recover the data??
Can someone share some tutorial ?? I'm not an expert in dealing with such problems. 

#NAS_Aug_2019

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You already had an (raid1) volume which is overwritten by a new volume? In that case you need an 'unformat' tool, but as far as I know that doesn't exist for the ext3 filesystem.

So your only option is low-level recovery. A tool like PhotoRec should be able to recover the majority of your photos. Unfortunately it recovers only the data, not the metadata. Filenames, pathnames and timestamps are gone. Fortunately there are tools around which can rename the files on base of their internal exif data, like EXIF ReName (Just the first output of a google on 'rename on exif'. I never used it).

BTW, you should have a backup. Raid1 is not a backup, as you have seen now.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You already had an (raid1) volume which is overwritten by a new volume? In that case you need an 'unformat' tool, but as far as I know that doesn't exist for the ext3 filesystem.

So your only option is low-level recovery. A tool like PhotoRec should be able to recover the majority of your photos. Unfortunately it recovers only the data, not the metadata. Filenames, pathnames and timestamps are gone. Fortunately there are tools around which can rename the files on base of their internal exif data, like EXIF ReName (Just the first output of a google on 'rename on exif'. I never used it).

BTW, you should have a backup. Raid1 is not a backup, as you have seen now.
  • markusp
    markusp Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Thank you for the answer, however, to recover the photos I bought the R-studio program and I slowly recover the photosarz

Consumer Product Help Center