NAS542 Nearly full

Options
dbeevers
dbeevers Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited September 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi
I use my NAS542 as a media server and have 4 x 3TB discs as 1 volume and formatted as JBOD.
Its now getting full (90% left) and can't think of what to do next, was thinking of getting  2 x 10TB again formatted as JBOD then copying files onto this then replacing the 4 discs with these 2 leaving 2 spaces left for upgrades.
How would I do this?

Thanks

#NAS_Sep_2019

Comments

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    There is not really a designed upgrade path for this. A single JBOD volume on 4 disks doesn't have any redundancy, and so you need all 4 disks connected to be able to access the volume.

In your case I would remove the 4 disks, put in a single 10TB disk, and generated a JBOD volume on it. Then remove the 10TB disk, and put back the 4 3TB disks.
    Put the 10TB disk in an USB enclosure, connect it to the NAS, and mount the volume manually using a command shell over ssh. Then copy everything over (where you'll have to make choices, 90% of 12TB is more than 10TB), and swap the 10TB disk back in. Put in the 2nd 10TB disk and enlarge the volume.

On the other hand, if your data is valuable, you should have a backup. So you could simply put in the 2 10TB disks, and copy back the backup. If the data is not valuable, then why bother? Just start over with 2 empty disks.

• dbeevers
    Options
    Thanks Mijzelf for that info.
    I thought I could upgrade to include 4x10TB drives but figure I can't, looking around I see its a maximum of 24 or 32TB, would you know the actual answer?
    As I said I use it as a media server, I don't have a backup as I have all the original media if any thing went wrong plus if I built in redundancy it'd be very expensive!

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    There is a limit of 16TiB (which is slightly more than 16TB) per volume. But you can have more than 1 volume, and even more than 1 volume per disk.
    So using 4 10TB disks you could have 2 16TiB and one ~8TB volume. But I would recommend to simpy create 4 10TB volumes. In that case you'll loose 'only' 10TB in case of disk failure, instead of 16 or 24.
  • dbeevers
    Options
    Once again a huge thanks. I never even thought of that, time to get me some drives!!

Consumer Product Help Center