NAS326 change place of .system directory

Options
Song
Song Posts: 2  Freshman Member
edited November 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
NAS 326

Hello
At first I placed into NAS big hard disk and NAS configured raid and ".system" directory on it.
After I placed second small (e.g. system as I believe) disk and now I would like to replace .system, .media, admin and so on (system directories and files) to it (it is .dev/md2)
Is it possible ?

#NAS_Nov_2019

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,638  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    I think it can be done, but not by firmware. The .system directory is on the sysvol, which is accessible via /i-data/sysvol/, which actually is a symlink to /etc/zyxel/storage/sysvol/.
    /etc/zyxel/volume is a symlink to the volume which contains .system and so. The content is something like /i-data/<some-hex-code>, which is the mountpoint of the volume.

As a flash partition is mounted on /etc/zyxel/, this value is persistent. (In contrary to /i-data/, which is on a ramdisk).

So, to move the .system directory, first copy it over
    <div>cp -a /i-data/<current_sysvol>/.system /i-data/<new_sysvol>/ <br></div><div><br></div>cp -a /i-data/<current_sysvol>/.media /i-data/<new_sysvol>/ <br>
    Then overwrite /i-data/sysvol for the case it's needed at shutdown
    <div>rm /i-data/sysvol</div><div><br></div><div>ln -s /i-data/<current_sysvol> /i-data/sysvol</div>
    And change the persistent symlink
    <div>rm /etc/zyxel/storage/sysvol<br>ln -s /i-data/<new_sysvol> /etc/zyxel/storage/sysvol</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
    Then, after a reboot, the system should be using the new directories, and you can delete the old ones.
    Do this on own risk.
  • Song
    Song Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    But if I would make it by official way, for example,
    1) Shutdown NAS
    2) I remove large hdd
    3) I change place of system (small) hdd from second place to first
    4) I run all init procedure (as new NAS) on small hdd
    5) I insert large hdd into NAS

large hdd should recognized?
  • Mijzelf
    Options
    That should also work. Maybe you'll have to perform a factory reset after removing the large hdd..
  • hzoli13
    Options

Is it possible to move everything to e-data (SD card) instead i-data?

• Mijzelf
    Options

My Tweaks package has an option to do so.

Consumer Product Help Center