NAS326 Replace one hard disk

Options
vprasinos
vprasinos Posts: 10  Freshman Member
edited November 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
I don't know if this is possible but my internal disks are full and I want to replace the 2nd bay one with a new 8TB. However I have some data in it already and it is already formatted as ext4. Is it possible to make the NAS recognize/mount it as internal Volume 2 without having to go through the process of having to transfer all my data elsewhere and then back in it after the Volume is created on it - since creating a volume deletes everything?
What is the Volume mount and how is it different from a normal linux mount?

Thanks

I forgot to add, my disks in the nas are basic volumes (no jbod or raid).

#NAS_Nov_2019

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    The disk will be accepted as internal volume if the partition table fits. It needs to have 3 partitions, the first being 3997696 sectors, and the second 3999744. The 3rd, being the data volume, has to contain a raid array member. In case of a single disk volume a single disk raid1 or linear array.

• vprasinos
    vprasinos Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    Options
    Thanks Mijzelf for your professional answer as always, but even if I knew how to make the new partitions I wouldn't know how to make the the array and what is needed after that.
    In any case I have transferred the data back and forth and the new 8TB volume is operational now

Thanks a lot

• Emerald Dragon
    Emerald Dragon Posts: 118  Ally Member
    First Anniversary
    Options
    @vprasinos - If you don't mind me asking. How did you do your steps after you installed the 8TB? I am in the same boat as you are with the basic volume (no jbod or raid) on my disk. I currently have a 1TB on the 1st bay (wished I put a bigger one in but that what I had on hand). I want to installs the 2nd bay the same exactly as your (8TB). Thanks in advance.

Emerald Dragon

Consumer Product Help Center