Twonky configuration on read-only diskpart

Options
WhizNick
WhizNick Posts: 2  Freshman Member
edited February 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi,

I want to change the view-definitions.xml file of Twonky media server, which I could in the past. However after the latest firmware upgrade or because of a new install after a disk upgrade, it's on a read-only file system. Direct editing or copying back and forth is not allowed now. How can I make it read/write or in another way configure Twonky?

#NAS_Feb_2020

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You have 2 options. You can bindmount a writable file on that file:
    <code>
    mount --bind /path/to/rw-location/view-definitions.xml /path/to/ro-location/view-definitions.xml
    </code>
    A problem here is that, I think, you'll have to restart twonky to get it read. Maybe sending a HUP signal will do.

Or you can remount the ro partition readwrite.
    <code>
    mount -o remount,rw /firmware/mnt/sysdisk
    touch /firmware/mnt/sysdisk/mount.sda1.rw.flag
    reboot
    </code>
    After a reboot the /usr/ tree will be rw. This will last until you remove the mount.sda1.rw.flag file and reboot. You must remove the file before attempting a firmware update, as it blocks proper update.
    A problem could be that the read-onlyness of the /usr tree can hide bugs. I think the major part of the ZyXEL specific files in /usr/ are not really tested on an rw filesystem.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You have 2 options. You can bindmount a writable file on that file:
    <code>
    mount --bind /path/to/rw-location/view-definitions.xml /path/to/ro-location/view-definitions.xml
    </code>
    A problem here is that, I think, you'll have to restart twonky to get it read. Maybe sending a HUP signal will do.

Or you can remount the ro partition readwrite.
    <code>
    mount -o remount,rw /firmware/mnt/sysdisk
    touch /firmware/mnt/sysdisk/mount.sda1.rw.flag
    reboot
    </code>
    After a reboot the /usr/ tree will be rw. This will last until you remove the mount.sda1.rw.flag file and reboot. You must remove the file before attempting a firmware update, as it blocks proper update.
    A problem could be that the read-onlyness of the /usr tree can hide bugs. I think the major part of the ZyXEL specific files in /usr/ are not really tested on an rw filesystem.

• WhizNick
    WhizNick Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, Mijzelf!!
    Sorry for the late reply, I only saw your quick answer yesterday.

I tried the bindmount option and that seemed to work nicely.

Consumer Product Help Center