nas326 since last update completely weird.

evilchen
evilchen Posts: 2  Freshman Member
edited March 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi there, since the last firmware update 
<table class="Quote"><tbody class="Quote"><tr class="Quote"><td class="Quote">Modellname:</td><td class="Quote">NAS326</td></tr><tr class="Quote"><td class="Quote">Firmware-Version:</td><td class="Quote">V5.21(AAZF.7)</td></tr></tbody></table>
The Nas is doing weird and dangerous things.
I am running the syslog server, writing to an USB stick. This worked fine for a long time now. Since the update i noticed, the NAS stops working after some hours. I had a look for that and found, that the external usb is not present anymore.
... detached - reattached - reboot -> nothing.
The Stick is broken - the NAS ate em. (even on other linux boxes, nothing to see)

OK, could happen to usb sticks. New one, same setup, 24h -> dead.
New one, 35h -> dead.
ITS EATING EM FOR TEA! WHY the HECK should i spend Money to a zyxel nas, that has the brilliant ability to surely BURN my USB Sticks?
But wait for it:
Instead of stopping the Syslog, cause it cant write to its target anymore, it writes the logs to internal storage and eats the NAND space till NAS crashes. Reboot needed. THX for that genious update.

btw, i cant deinstall this shitty myzyxelcloud-agend thingie anymore. Deinstall works fine and its gone from installed packages...for a while. After some time its back online and starts eating my CPU usage after a reboot.

So what can i do?

#NAS_Mar_2020

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    I cannot imagine the update has any impact on the way USB sticks are treated. But maybe for some reason the number of log messages is increased, wearing out the stick? Have you looked at the messages?

[quote]But wait for it:
    Instead of stopping the Syslog, cause it cant write to its target anymore, it writes the logs to internal storage and eats the NAND space till NAS crashes.[/quote]
    Are you sure it isn't eating ram? Normally an USB stick is mounted on /e-data/<some-hex-code>. When the mount breaks, the directory (in ram) remains. So I'd expect the logfile to be written to ram.

My Tweaks package (installable via MetaRepository) has a patch to disable the automatic install of of the MyZyXELCloud software.

All Replies

• masterflai
    masterflai Posts: 19  Freshman Member
    Go to the MyZyxel Cloud App and deactivate the creation of thumbnails. Then your CPU won't be on 100% anymore.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    I cannot imagine the update has any impact on the way USB sticks are treated. But maybe for some reason the number of log messages is increased, wearing out the stick? Have you looked at the messages?

[quote]But wait for it:
    Instead of stopping the Syslog, cause it cant write to its target anymore, it writes the logs to internal storage and eats the NAND space till NAS crashes.[/quote]
    Are you sure it isn't eating ram? Normally an USB stick is mounted on /e-data/<some-hex-code>. When the mount breaks, the directory (in ram) remains. So I'd expect the logfile to be written to ram.

My Tweaks package (installable via MetaRepository) has a patch to disable the automatic install of of the MyZyXELCloud software.

• evilchen
    evilchen Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    oh dear, this auto reinstall is normal behaviour?
    this drives me more away from zyxel...
    But Thx for the helpfull Answer.

The amount of incomming log messages did not increase and is showing up in 30-40 megs per day. The Trick with the USB Stick for Syslog aimed at not spinning on the Disks all the time. They are not needed most of day. As a temporary result, i will pull of the syslog service to a different hardware.

Consumer Product Help Center