NAS326: New Installation - Old SATA Drive w/DATA

Emerald Dragon
Emerald Dragon Posts: 118  Ally Member
First Anniversary
edited April 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi everyone, I am new to Zyxel and to the Forum. Just got my NAS326 today. I have tried to install my NAS per instruction and trying to connect through the web through the link provided (multiple times but not working), I finally connect with the NAS through IP Address and log in. But every time I tried to go view and my drive, it wants me to format and configured it. I don't want to do that before I retrieved my data off it. I have a lot of family pictures saved and I don't want to lose them. The hard drive was from my old NAS that finally died out (power issues). What can I do to have the NAS read the hard drive without formatting it? Thanks in advance. Also, I am unable to update the firmware for the NAS.

Emerald Dragon

#NAS_Apr_2020

Accepted Solution

• Emerald Dragon
    First Anniversary
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    UPDATE: I am pretty sure it's is related to DNS issues I was having with the NAS while I was  trying to setup myZyXELcloud account, that is why the initial setup fail through the web base link  because the DNS was set to automatic and it was pointing to NAS's IP Address for some reason. If anyone else is having the issue with the initial setting up that is probably why. FYI!

EDIT: Tested with Find me link and my assessment was correct.

All Replies

• Emerald Dragon
    First Anniversary
    Also, I am unable to update the firmware for the NAS.
  • Batou
    Batou Posts: 101  Ally Member
    I am unable to update the firmware for the NAS.
    I think because your NAS326 hasn't install disk (format and configured) to cause this problem.

Due to the original file system of your old disk, so your old disk cannot plug and use on NAS326.
    You need to plug your old disk to the computer and use 3rd party software to backup files.

https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/
  • Emerald Dragon
    First Anniversary
    @ Batou - I actually remembered that I had another hard drive that I can used at let it formatted file system EXT4. After that the Firmware upgraded last night. Thanks thou for your insightful information on why.
  • Emerald Dragon
    First Anniversary
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    UPDATE: I am pretty sure it's is related to DNS issues I was having with the NAS while I was  trying to setup myZyXELcloud account, that is why the initial setup fail through the web base link  because the DNS was set to automatic and it was pointing to NAS's IP Address for some reason. If anyone else is having the issue with the initial setting up that is probably why. FYI!

EDIT: Tested with Find me link and my assessment was correct.

Consumer Product Help Center