NAS326: Possible to migrate from NAS325-v2 to NAS326 without losing data?

Mrc
Mrc Posts: 5  Freshman Member
First Anniversary
Hi,
Recently bought a new 2-bay Zyxel NAS326 to uppgrade from my old NSA325-v2 with two HD drives (not in Raid). Is it possible just to plug in the old HD drives from  my old Zyxel to the new one and to keep the same files on the HDDs? If yes, could someone, please explain the steps.
Thanks for all help!

Best Answers

• Emerald Dragon
    Emerald Dragon Posts: 118  Ally Member
    First Anniversary
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    I have NAS326, and I knows that it needs to format the drive for the 1st uses. Have you tried just installing the hard drive from your NAS325v2 into your NAS326 to see if it recognized the hard drive without forcing hard drive format?

Let's do this:

1st Insert your hard drive into your NAS326. (DONOT FORMAT IT)
    2nd Check your Network for the IP Address for NAS326.
    3rd Got to your Browser and login with that IP Address with admin/1234

Then check to see if your NAS326 recognized your hard drive correctly. If yes, the check to see if the File Manager can read the contents of your NAS325v2 hard drive.

If not, then you'll have to go a long way and backup your data then got through the initial setup like it is brand spanky new.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    You can mount the disk manually. That opens the opportunity to put one disk in, format it, put in the other one, mount it manually, copy over the files, and format the 2nd disk.
    Don't know If that is useful for you. If both disks are more or less full I suppose not.

All Replies

• Emerald Dragon
    Emerald Dragon Posts: 118  Ally Member
    First Anniversary
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    I have NAS326, and I knows that it needs to format the drive for the 1st uses. Have you tried just installing the hard drive from your NAS325v2 into your NAS326 to see if it recognized the hard drive without forcing hard drive format?

Let's do this:

1st Insert your hard drive into your NAS326. (DONOT FORMAT IT)
    2nd Check your Network for the IP Address for NAS326.
    3rd Got to your Browser and login with that IP Address with admin/1234

Then check to see if your NAS326 recognized your hard drive correctly. If yes, the check to see if the File Manager can read the contents of your NAS325v2 hard drive.

If not, then you'll have to go a long way and backup your data then got through the initial setup like it is brand spanky new.
  • Mrc
    First Anniversary
    Thank you for the quick response!
    I'll definitely give it a try.
    Will let you know if it works.
  • Mrc
    First Anniversary
    Unfortunately, formatting HDDs was mandatory. NAS recognizes HDDs but not the files on them  It'll be new HDD :) 
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    You can mount the disk manually. That opens the opportunity to put one disk in, format it, put in the other one, mount it manually, copy over the files, and format the 2nd disk.
    Don't know If that is useful for you. If both disks are more or less full I suppose not.
  • Mrc
    First Anniversary
    Thank you Mijzelf for the suggestion. That was what I'd do if  the disks weren't full. So instead i'll buy a new disk and do as you described: mount new disk in the NAS326, copy files from the one of the old ones (in the NSA325), take it out, mount it into NAS326, format it and then copy files from  the other one. This third disk i plan to use as an USB-disk attached to my new NAS326 :)
    Well, cross your fingers that I don't mess with anything. I think it's strange that Zyxel don't allow to migrate from the one to the another model of their NAS without problems.
  • Kim
    Kim Posts: 37  Freshman Member
    Can you see the volume in the storage manager after inserting disks? If you can see the volume, you can go to control panel > shared folders to check if those files has been set to disable. If those files has been set to disable, you can select the file and click " Edit Shared Folder" to enable it and also go to "Shared Folder Access" to enable the privilege. I think it is worth to give it a try.

• Mrc
    First Anniversary
    Unfortunately, didn't work that way you suggested, Kim.Could see the HD but no files. It took 5 days to transfer files from the old NAS to the new one. Disappointingly slow-wonder if it was due to my local network. Big files went up to 30-40 MB/s, smal files just few KB/s. But the most important, to see movies on my smart TV directly from the NAS works fine :)

Consumer Product Help Center