Backup NAS542

Options
QmpCP
QmpCP Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited May 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
There is a problem with NAS542. I'm trying to backup 5 Tb data from NAS to Ubuntu Server via SSH:
  • ssh -T -c aes128-gcm@openssh.com -o Compression=no -x root@10.100.0.1 '(cd /i-data/sysvol/; tar cf - Resource | mbuffer -m 1024M | sudo tar xf -
But average speed is ~10 MB/s (~80 Mbit/s). iperf NAS with Ubuntu Server shows 850 Mbit/s.

If I mount Resource of NAS via cifs (smb) at Ubuntu Server, it starts faster but after time it starts copy one file (300 Kb) for 5 seconds. Used commands:
  • tar cf - /mnt/NAS/Resource | mbuffer -m 1024M | (cd /home/backup/; sudo tar xf -)
  • ls /mnt/NAS/Resource | xargs -n1 -P2 -I{} rsync -Pa "{}" /home/backup
Speed via SSH stable but slow. Speed via mounting resource high but only first time.

Is there any way to:
  • Speed up SSH transfer or...
  • Solve problem with speed comes to 0 via rsync/tar with mounting (smb/cifs)?

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Really? Shame on me.

I'll tell you a secret. The server part of MetaRepository is powered by (busybox) inetd. That was the result of the search for the smallest (in bytes) possible solution. And for some reason which I can't remember anymore I also added nc to the busybox binary. So by executing

/i-data/sysvol/.PKG/MetaRepository/bin/busybox-metarepo nc

you'll have your nc. (Or create a symlink).

Another option is to install Entware netcat. But that is a bit heavy for just installing nc.

All Replies

• QmpCP
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Resource mounted by:
    • sudo mount -t cifs //10.100.0.1/Resource /mnt/NAS/Resource -o username="backup",password="password"

• Mijzelf
    Options
    I think the CPU of the NAS maxes out on encryption of a 80mbit stream. Try netcat instead.
  • QmpCP
    Options
    Is there any way to add nc to NAS? Wasn't found it at RandomTools.
  • Mijzelf
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Really? Shame on me.

I'll tell you a secret. The server part of MetaRepository is powered by (busybox) inetd. That was the result of the search for the smallest (in bytes) possible solution. And for some reason which I can't remember anymore I also added nc to the busybox binary. So by executing

/i-data/sysvol/.PKG/MetaRepository/bin/busybox-metarepo nc

you'll have your nc. (Or create a symlink).

Another option is to install Entware netcat. But that is a bit heavy for just installing nc.

Consumer Product Help Center