NAS326 - Recover data from HDD

Options
bacuda
bacuda Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited June 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi,

I have tons of data on a drive that was only used on the NAS. When installing the second drive new, I somehow must've changed something; at least the first HDD shows up completely empty. No RAID, just basic volumes (1 HDD = 1 volume), no special settings.

Any chance I can recover the data? I did pull out the HDD as soon as possible to ensure nothing is written over it... I hope it's not too late!

Thanks for your help.

#NAS_June_2020

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Do you have a Linux system to connect the disk to?
  • bacuda
    bacuda Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, no. As a matter of fact, only a Windows-based laptop, not even a workstation.
  • Janikovo
    Janikovo Posts: 24  Freshman Member
    Options
    I am not sure,

but - I will try to point to possible solution, because I am in the same situation.

I choose to download LiveCD Linux distribution - on DVD or USB flash, boot on my Windows-based laptop, I bought this thing:
    https://www.alza.de/premiumcord-usb-3-0-sata-iii-d251654.htm?o=2

And then I will try to do as @Mijzelf suggested:

look here:
    https://homeforum.zyxel.com/discussion/3827/nas326-problem/p1

Jan
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    @bacuda : You'll have to investigate what is wrong with the disk/volume/whatever to be able to repair it. As the NAS runs Linux, it uses Linux raid arrays and filesystems, and so the easiest way to investigate is using Linux. There are Windows tools which can do it, like ufsexplorer, but AFAIK they won't repair the problem, just copy your data, and they cost.

You can use @Janikovo 's suggestion to use a Linux Live USB stick.

Consumer Product Help Center