How can I change operating WIFI Channel

Options
Jostein
Jostein Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited September 2020 in Multy WiFi System
Hi, I have a general question on my  Multy X configuration. In my setup I have a 5,8GHZ radiolink that I am dependent on with regards to internet. My Multy X is operating at Channel 132, and is disturbing the Cambium Radio Link with regards to available channels with low interference, due to DFS and automatic change of Channels on radar detection. I would assume this system should operate in Norway on ch36-48 in an indoor environment. Why is it operating in the DFS area, and why is it not possible to change?

#Multy _Sep_2020

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Eric
    Zyxel_Eric Posts: 279  Zyxel Employee
    First Answer First Comment
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Dear Sir,

In your case, due to the DFS may cause your backhaul connection drop consistently.
    I will suggest you connect your Multy with Ethernet backhaul.
    With Ethernet backhaul, the backhaul connection will not drop by the DFS.
    Please refer to the link for the Ethernet backhaul connection.
    https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!viewDetail.action?articleOid=017839&lang=EN

For your information, we don't have plan to develop the channel select on Multy X.
    Your understanding will be appreciated.

Best regards,
    Eric

All Replies

• Jostein
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hi, I guess this question have been asked in the past, and I understand it cannot be changed. And also Zyxel have stated they will not open up for channel management, and therefore due to my dependence on a radiolink, this system will not work for me. Will therefore put my 4 Multy X devices on eBay and buy something that will work. 

• Zyxel_Eric
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Dear Sir,

Multy is a tri-band Mesh WiFi System, it has 2 "5G band", and 1 "2.4G band".
    Regarding the 5G band,
    One of the 5G band is dedicated for the Backhaul connection between two Multy, which is channel 132 in your case.
    Another 5G band is for end devices, which is the wifi that your devices connect to, the channel is between 36~48.

After you add the second Multy in your Multy system, your devices can only see the second 5G band which is channel 36~48.
    This tri-band Mesh design can provide you a full-speed transmission on the second Multy. however, the dual-band Mesh system may not able to provide you this performance on the second node.

Best Regards,
    Eric

• Jostein
    Options
    Thanks Eric,

Understand a bit better, but it still does not help me I am afraid. Attached is a print of the channels available for my radiolink (mounted on my roof), and also remember I do have weather radars in my area that makes this quite difficult. Each time my radiolink detects radar activity in same frequency area it shuts down the channel and go to an alternative, number of available channels are as you see limited, and 132 is one of them, the detected channel will remain unavailable for at least 30min. All this is as you know regulated by law. Remote link is ok on 132 (named Managed), but the the link on my roof (named Peer) is detecting interference on 132 from Multy X, so for me to not be able to change this is causing me a lot of problems with many links down. CAC channels are not available on the radiolink due to the stringent regulations for radar detection. Many other vendors support channel management, and hope Zyxel also will do this in the future.
  • Zyxel_Eric
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Dear Sir,

In your case, due to the DFS may cause your backhaul connection drop consistently.
    I will suggest you connect your Multy with Ethernet backhaul.
    With Ethernet backhaul, the backhaul connection will not drop by the DFS.
    Please refer to the link for the Ethernet backhaul connection.
    https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!viewDetail.action?articleOid=017839&lang=EN

For your information, we don't have plan to develop the channel select on Multy X.
    Your understanding will be appreciated.

Best regards,
    Eric

Consumer Product Help Center