NSA325: Internal volume degraded - repair not available/reachable (RAID1)

Paolo DeF
Paolo DeF Posts: 11  Freshman Member
First Comment Friend Collector Third Anniversary
Dears, I have a NSA325v2, configured in RAID1. Lately, volume status has become "degraded".
The storage/volume management page takes a very long time lo load (dozens of minutes).
Even after I reach the page, it stays in "Please wait" (for hours...). I cannot even try to repair or resynch the RAID.
See below.

Can you please suggest how to proceed?
Thanks a lot!
Paolo

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,745  Guru Member
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Friend Collector Sixth Anniversary
    Answer ✓
    That looks strange, indeed. But I think the right disk is dead. HD0 is waked up regularly, also by 'normal' daemons.
    ###############################
    #              HD0 awaked by nfsd  !        #
    while HD1 is never waked up, while the kernel regularly tries to put it asleep, resulting in an error.
    *            HD1 stand by now!        *
    Set Power Saving Mode fail

It's normal that the NAS works normally, that is the whole point of raid1. But apparently the firmware can't handle a disk which doesn't answer to higher level commands.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    I think (one of) the disks is (almost) dead, causing long delays, and maybe internal crashes of the backend. Do you have shell access?
  • Paolo DeF
    Hi, thank you. Yes, I have access via telnet. I guess you're right. Please note that, other than Volume, S.M.A.R.T. and such, the NAS works just fine. 
  • Mijzelf
    You can run 'dmesg' to see the kernel error log. I think it will show a lot of I/O errors on either sda (the left disk, I think), or sdb (the right disk). Remove the disk that has I/O errors, and it should work.
    Then you can plug in an equal sized or bigger disk to regain your redundancy.
  • Paolo DeF
    Hi, thank you again.
    Just run dmesg, this is the result (attached). No I/O errors it seems...
    Don't know what to think...
  • Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    That looks strange, indeed. But I think the right disk is dead. HD0 is waked up regularly, also by 'normal' daemons.
    #              HD0 awaked by nfsd  !        #
    while HD1 is never waked up, while the kernel regularly tries to put it asleep, resulting in an error.
    *            HD1 stand by now!        *
    Set Power Saving Mode fail

It's normal that the NAS works normally, that is the whole point of raid1. But apparently the firmware can't handle a disk which doesn't answer to higher level commands.

• Paolo DeF
    Thanks again. I'll try to mount the HDD on the computer and see if it's definitely dead or can somehow be revived. Cheers
  • Paolo DeF
    Hi, just run a few checks. If I leave just the "good" HD the NAS works just fine. I was able to mount it on my computer and it's ok. The "bad" HD spins but nothing more. The NAS does not even recognize it has been attached. I have not been able to mount it on the computer (linux was not even booting... strange, but then I stopped).
    I'm leaving just the HD working in the NAS and I'm buying  a new HD.
    Again, thanks a lot.
    Cheers, Paolo

Consumer Product Help Center