NSA325v2 problem transferring one particular large file.

doktor
doktor Posts: 14  Freshman Member
First Comment
edited January 2021 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hello!

I am backing up my data from my NSA325v2, before upgrading the two RAID1 2TB disks to two RAID1 8TB disks. So, everything went fine during backup, but one particular file, of size approx. 18.9GB stops transferring at approx. 62%. So I am unable to copy it. The methods I tried are:

1. From NAS to Windows 10, using Total Commander.
2. From NAS to Windows 10, using Copy/Paste of Windows Explorer.
3. From NAS to external HD connected on NAS, using Midnight Commander (via ssh).

It always stops at about 62%, having transferred about 11.9GB.

One thing that worked was making a copy inside the RAID1 array from one folder to another, just as a test. Of course this is of no use for me.

Now, this file is of no great significance and I can do without it, but I really wonder why this happens and what the limiting factor is.

Thanks!

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited January 2021
    1. From NAS to Windows 10, using Total Commander.<br>2. From NAS to Windows 10, using Copy/Paste of Windows Explorer.<br>3. From NAS to external HD connected on NAS, using Midnight Commander (via ssh).
    Is that in all cases to the same target disk? If yes, what is the filesystem, and how much space if left?

• doktor
    First Comment
    In case 1 and 2 it is the same 8TB NTFS disk connected to the SATA bus of a Windows 10 PC.
    In case 3 it is a 4TB ext4 disk connected to the USB3 port of the NSA325v2. I know originally only up to 2TB were possible, but I managed to format that disk to 4TB a few years ago, without ever having any problems since. I think it was you who helped me that time, so thanks once more. Anyway, as you see the problem happens under different disks and environments.

In case 1 and 2 the disk was almost empty. In case 3 there were 26GB free.

As I mentioned I was able to copy the file to another folder within the same Internal RAID1 array, so I guess the file is not corrupted.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    It was a long shot. At least on NTFS the number of fragments of a file is limited, so a nearly full disk might not be able to contain such a large file due to fragmentation of the free space. But your NTFS disk was empty, so that is not the case.
  • doktor
    First Comment
    Well, I deleted that particular file anyway before I tried to upgrade the array to 8TB, just to be sure...

Consumer Product Help Center