Mobile Nebula Security Gateway

System
System Posts: 36  Admin
First Comment Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Security Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Administrator - Nebula
edited April 2021 in Nebula
This discussion was created from comments split from: A Breath of Fresh Air: Nebula 8.1 release, a stylish UI and more powerful features.

Comments

• Airfox
    Airfox Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    edited October 2019

Are there any plans for a small/mobile Nebula Security Gateway for mobile/remote users?

I'm thinking of a device which would connect to a hotel wifi or ethernet - via RJ45.

The device then uses the Nebula to auto setup VPNs to our office & warehouse - no input from me at all.

Then I can simply connect my laptop, phone, tablet, etc to the device via wifi and work as if I was using our regular office VPN, all with the benefits of the cloud security systems.

[Just realised I've posted this in the wrong place, but i cant find a way to delete or move.]

• Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hello, @Airfox

In this case I will recommend to use L2TP over IPsec VPN, please refer to this link by this way the communication is encrypted and L2TP is usually built-in on most of OS system.?

/Chris

Chris
  • Airfox
    Airfox Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    edited November 2019

Hi Chris,

Sorry, this is not the solution I was looking for.

L2TP is not a 'Zero touch deployment' option - it requires setting up on all three devices.

L2TP does not offer any security - virus, spam, intrusion, etc.

L2TP to Nebula has issues on Windows 10 devices.

This does not give me a small local (dhcp) network of devices in my hotel room.

If I were to take the L2TP route I may just as well forget Nebula altogether and go back to my my Zywall 310 & USG 40Ws.

• Nebula_Bayardo
    Nebula_Bayardo Posts: 179  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment

Hi @Airfox

We understand your request to bring one small "portable" gateway to the Nebula family, making easy to setup VPNs and local networks on the go.

I will move your post to the ideas section so others that have the same need can support this request ?️.

Thanks!

Nebula Tips & Tricks