ssh login

Options
Roger_Waldrip
Roger_Waldrip Posts: 10  Freshman Member
edited May 2018 in Personal Cloud Storage
Unable to login to my Zyxel NAS540 ssh server.  I get the login prompt, but am unable to get past the password prompt.  It keeps giving saying "access denied".

Thanks in advance.
Roger L. Waldrip

#NAS_May

Comments

• Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    Options
    What kind of way do you use to access SSH server?
    You can show some screenshot here, it will be helpful to know the situation.

• Roger_Waldrip
    Options
    I thought I had read around some of the forum that you need to access the NAS540 device via SSH to do something's (like modifications).  I don't have a specific need at the moment, just trying to prepare for the future.
  • Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    Options
    The login account and password is the same as you login to web management, so if you got "Access Denied", that it might you type wrong password passowrd.
    After login SSH, then you can modify lots of configuration you want. 
  • Roger_Waldrip
    Options
    OK. I found out that even though I set up an account as an additional administrator, SSH-server did not get the addition of the new administrator (or anybody).  It will only let the original admin account login into it.

I am slowly learning that the "OS" behind the Zyxel NAS540 is just OSS software that has been modified (or not modified) to work on the Zyxel NAS540 (and I assume other NAS's).  In the case of the openssh-server (as best I can tell) it is a stock openssh-server installation with no additional hook to or from the NAS's Web Configurator. The mistake was in my expecting that Zyxel to have made it so that when the the SSH server was activated in the Web Configurator, (or any application that requires user accounts) it would have placed the new users into that application (and ideally the existing users) or used some method to ask if the administrator wanted person X to be added.

As it is, if you want to add people to have the ability to access the system through SSH, you have to manually edit files on the Zyxel NAS540.  The problem for this is that Zyxel does not appear to have placed many (if any) of the applications in and or with the same directory structure that I am famular with on operating systems containing the same application.  The Apache server is an example of such.

Anyhow, I understand the problem now and know how to work around it.  Thanks for the reply's.

Consumer Product Help Center