Can NAS be able to expand maximum TB capacity by updating firmware?

Zyy
Zyy Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited July 2018 in Personal Cloud Storage

Hello!

I am looking at NAS NAS542. In my country it says it has 24 tb capacity. But on zyxel website, it says it can reach 48. Is it a firmware issue? And can I buy it and fix that so I can put lets say 40 tb overall?

Thanks guys!

#NAS_July

All Replies

• Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    Hi, 
    I think you can check the official global website for HDD compatibility list, the maximum size per each is 12TB, but only seagate disk.
    https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/nas540.shtml?t=p#productDetailTab6

You can put 4x12TB in your NAS, but you have to know one thing as the maximum size per each volume is 16TB, so even you have 48TB capacity, then you only can create 3x16TB with group disk function.
  • Zyy
    Hi! Thank you for your answer, but what I want to know is will I be able to put 4 x 8tb WD RED drives in? In my country the device is sold as maximum 24 tb. Is it fixable with firmware update? Thank you!
  • Ijnrsi
    Hi Zyy, 

The NAS you can put the maximum 4x12TB in, so your concern of 4x8TB WD RED drives is sured, and this part is not controled by firmware, just the information no update in your country.
    But the most important part is the maximum size per volume is 16TB.
  • Zyy
    Sorry I don't understand. Can you please say it in a simpler english :) Can I put 4x 8Tb WD hdds?

• Ijnrsi
    Yes, you can put 4x8tb WD hdds in NAS542.

Consumer Product Help Center