Will Multi handle 6 nodes?

Options
Hayne
Hayne Posts: 9  Freshman Member
edited September 2018 in Multy WiFi System
Just installed Multi X into my Devon (Cob & Stone) house with good results, much better than the power line adaptors I was using before. Problem is that some of my internal walls are more than 3ft thick and made of stone and cob so wifi does not travel too far. I still have a couple of black holes, in the kitchen and downstairs study but the 3 nodes are doing a great job around the rest of the house, living room, upstairs beds etc. I am thinking of getting another 3 nodes to clear the remaining dead spots which (I think) should work now that daisy chaining is available, but before I spend another £350 I just want to be sure that the system will handle 6 nodes, can somebody confirm? - Thanks - Pdc

#MultyX_Sep

Best Answers

• Zyxel_Steven
    Zyxel_Steven Posts: 246  Zyxel Employee
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    @Hayne,

With Daisy Chain, it can support maximum 3 hops.
    But the performance will be declined very much with more hops.

For example:

Star Topology: 1st, 2nd and 3rd node
    Daisy Chain: 4th, 5th and 6th node
  • Hayne
    Answer ✓
    Options
    OK thats great, many thanks for your quick response, I will get 3 more nodes and hopefully that will give me the coverage I need.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Steven
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    @Hayne,

With Daisy Chain, it can support maximum 3 hops.
    But the performance will be declined very much with more hops.

For example:

Star Topology: 1st, 2nd and 3rd node
    Daisy Chain: 4th, 5th and 6th node
  • Hayne
    Options
    Thanks, I understand what you are saying, but have another question:- does the performance decline across the entire network if you add more daisy chain nodes, or is it only the further (daisy chain) nodes that suffer a slowdown?

My house is L shaped and so my configuration will look like this:

Multi X 2nd node
    Internet - Multi X 1st node - Multi X 4th node (daisy 1st node)- Multi X 5th node (daisy to 4th node)
                   Multi X 3rd node
                             |
                   Multi X 6th node (daisy to 3rd node)

I am assuming that you can daisy chain off any of the star nodes - is this correct?

I cannot see that I will need any more than the six nodes as outlined above is this a reasonable install that will keep the good speeds I have with 3 nodes currently or do I need to have a re-think?

Thanks & Regards

• Zyxel_Steven
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Please see below answers.
    A1: It is only the further (daisy chain) nodes that suffer a slowdown. The performance will be declined very much with more hops.
    A2: Daisy chain can connect to any of the star nodes. Please noted that Multy X is supported dynamic daisy chain. It means if 3rd node getting a stronger signal from 1st node (better than 2nd node), it will connect to 1st node automatically.
  • Hayne
    Answer ✓
    Options
    OK thats great, many thanks for your quick response, I will get 3 more nodes and hopefully that will give me the coverage I need.

Consumer Product Help Center