NAS542, Link Aggregation and MAC address

All Replies

• Boyanski
    Boyanski Posts: 33  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary
    Well, yes, Zyxel Drive works now and MyCloud shows statistics. The MAC shown there is still M1.
    I tried to apply some UPnP setting like HTTP, but it gives me failure.

What switch do you mean? I don't have a switch. This is in the router's configuration and these are the only options there for Link Aggregation (as seen in the picture in one of my previous posts above).

This is in the NAS :

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Well, yes, Zyxel Drive works now and MyCloud shows statistics. The MAC shown there is still M1.

Great. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that M1. Who knows where the script gets that from. And, after all, the box [i]has[/i] a mac M1, it's only not active. (I hope).

What switch do you mean? I don't have a switch. This is in the router's configuration and these are the only options there for Link Aggregation

I see. Well, link aggregation is a switch function. Most routers have a build-in switch. I didn't know there are routers around which support link aggregation on their internal switch.

Do you have other options than 'SRC+DST MAC'?

I tried to apply some UPnP setting like HTTP, but it gives me failure.
    Is UPnP enabled on the router?

• Boyanski
    First Anniversary
    link aggregation is a switch function..
    Pardon me, I didn't know that. My router is TP-Link Archer C2300. There are a few other models from this manufacturer that have Link Aggregation as well as some from Netgear I think, but yes, it's a rare feature.

Do you have other options than 'SRC+DST MAC'?
    The other options are SRC only and DST only.

Is UPnP enabled on the router?

Yes, it's enabled. WebDAV is the only service I enabled successfully through MyCloud:

I restarted NAS twice now and it maintained M2! Looks like the magic works now! I didn't understand which part exactly made it work though.

Also after each restart the gateway is lost, so can I add the line

route add default gw 192.168.0.1 bond0in the script?

• Mijzelf
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Yes, it's enabled. WebDAV is the only service I enabled successfully through MyCloud:
    And HTTP didn't work. Are you sure port 80 is available? Can you manually forward it?

Also after each restart the gateway is lost, so can I add the line in the script?
    In that case you are pretty close to using a fixed IP anyway, eh? Anyway, I can imagine that doesn't work.  The DHCP client is started, but it is possible that it returns before the IP is known. Don't know what happens then with the already set gateway. Better filter the -G away:
    #!/bin/sh<br>date >>/tmp/dhcpcd.log<br>echo "\$0 \$@" >>/tmp/dhcpcd.log<br>ARGS="\$( echo "\$@" | sed 's/-G//' )"<br># have a look:<br>echo \$ARGS >>/tmp/dhcpcd.log<br>ifconfig bond0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55<br>exec /sbin/dhcpcd.old \$ARGS<br>__EOF__cat >/sbin/dhcpcd <<__EOF__<br>

• Boyanski
    First Anniversary
    Are you sure port 80 is available? Can you manually forward it?
    Again, I'm not sure if I've done the right thing, but what I've done is to add a Virtual Server:

Thanks for the script. I don't understand that -G thing, but I'll test it later.
  • Mijzelf
    what I've done is to add a Virtual Server:
    If that works as it should, UPnP should be able to do the same port forward. Unless either the client or the server (router in this case) refuses to forward any of the service ports (<1024). On Linux (the OS of most home routers) a port <1024 can only be opened by root. So if the UPnP service on the router runs as non-root, it can't forward such a port directly.

• Boyanski
    First Anniversary
    Can I change it to >1024? In MyCloud, if I type a different number, it fails and changes the number after that.
  • Boyanski
    First Anniversary
    edited September 2018
    The Gateway thing still don't work, I have to set it manually. Mijzelf, you said something about being close to fixed IP. What did you mean?
  • Mijzelf
    Can I change it to >1024? In MyCloud, if I type a different number, it fails and changes the number after that.

Don't know.

you said something about being close to fixed IP. What did you mean?
    There are fixed IP and dynamic IP. Dynamic IP is assigned by a DHCP server, and is hassle free, as you never have to administrate anything.
    A fixed IP is assigned in the client, and has to be maintained.
    If you choose for dynamic IP, and still have to manually set the gateway in the client, the added value of dynamic IP is gone.

There also exist something like a semi-fixed IP, in which case you assign the IP address as a function of the MAC address or the hostname in the DHCP server. It has the advantage that a client always gets the same IP, it is maintained on a single place, and the client will still work if you put it in a different network.
    On the other hand, if you access the client by hostname, the actual IP doesn't matter, so why bother.
  • Boyanski
    First Anniversary
    Isn't that my case? I have a fixed IP from my Internet provider going in my router. Then I've setup the DHCP to give same IP to the NAS on MAC basis.
    I get it, it's dynamic, because it's a setting in the router, while on the NAS no IP is set up, rather to auto receive it and the router is responsible to give a certain IP every time.
    Do you know what will happen if I set a fixed IP in the NAS - the one that the router sends and define the gateway? Would there be a conflict?

Consumer Product Help Center