Can the NAS326 appear on my LAN as a regular drive? (Windows 10 & Linux)

swanie2000
swanie2000 Posts: 5  Freshman Member
edited September 2018 in Personal Cloud Storage
I have looked through all 64 pages of the forum, and still haven't solved this problem. If  this is not solvable, I will be throwing the NAS326 in the trash. YES, i'm that frustrated with it!

OK, I have (5)five Win10 machines, and (5)Linux mint machines on my home LAN.
What I want is to set up 10 folders on the NAS326 which is equipped with 4TB drives in RAID format.
I want each machine on my LAN to have it's own private folder.
I'm using FreeFileSync windows and linux clients to backup/sync each machine to it's folder on the NAS. 

This seems simple enough, but for the life of me(and this NAS) I cannot figure out how to go about it.

I don't want to use any of the firmware apps, as they do not get updated, and stop working. I know this as I had my system working very well using the owncloud built in app. It worked fine, up until owncloud released ver 10. After that, it began nagging me with bright read warnings that my server version was no longer compatible.  And of course, I cannot upgrade the built in firmware, I have to wait for Zyxel to do it, so I am not holding my breath. 

This is my last (Hail Mary) attempt for help. I have googled until I fall asleep, If anyone knows how to make this happen, and can explain it in common mans terms, I would be greatly appreciative!

#NAS_Sep

Comments

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    What's wrong with 10 shares?
  • swanie2000
    10 shares are fine, that's where I started, but I cannot navigate to the shared folder from Linux or Windows?  I need the complete path, and everything I have tried fails.
  • Mijzelf
    If you are using Samba shares the path is \\NAS326\<share> or \\<ip-of-nas>\<share>. If you are using NFS you can see the path on a Linux box using
    showmount -e <ip-of-nas>

• swanie2000
    edited September 2018
    Hi Mijzelf,
      Thank you for trying to help me with this stupid thing. I have tried typing this into the path of my file browser in linux mint:
    \\NAS326\swanie
    \\192.168.1.11\swanie  (edit IP for privacy)
    neither of these will access the folder I created called "swanie". 

To be clear, I connect to my NAS326  through the built in web server with a web browser by typing it's IP address. Firmware version:V5.21(AAZF.2)

I have my router reserve the IP address of 192.168.1.11, based on the MAC address of the NAS326.

After connecting to the web server of the NAS326, I click on "control panel"
    Next I click on "Shared Folders"
     There are 4 default folders here, all of which I do not want, but can't seem to delete?
    Aside from that, I create a folder called "swanie"
    When created, it says the path is "Volume1\swanie"

I have also tried this:
    \\NAS326\Volume1\swanie
    \\192.168.1.11\Volume1\swanie

Nothing seems to work.

I do not know what you mean about SAMBA? But willing to try if you point me in that direction.
     I have installed the "NFS" program from the app center, but cannot get anything to work with it either.  Maybe you explain how to get NFS working?

I am not a computer illiterate, I have been well versed with all of the windows versions up to Win10, 30+ years of computers. I have just recently started learning about Linux. (because Win10 is the worst of the bunch)   SAMBA is part of Linux?  Never heard of this term before.

Thanks for any help you can share!

• Mijzelf
    Samba is the name of the opensource implementation of Microsoft SMB protocol, which is responsible for Windows shares and printer sharing. It's used on Linux, but AFAIK also on Mac.

Indeed you can't delete the 4 default shares. Don't ask me why.

If you have created a share, you have to create access rights. By default nobody can access them, you have to grant read-only or read/write access to one or more users. You can do that with the 'notepad and pencil' icon, tab 'Shared Folder Access'.

About NFS, using the NFS icon on the desktop you can enable NFS, and add shares the same way as Samba shares. There is one stupid detail: The switch says 'enable' when it means 'enabled', and 'disable' when it means 'disabled'.
    It's not possible to share the same directory both by Samba and NFS.
  • swanie2000
    edited September 2018
    I have ran into the NFS enable/disable bug. I have installed it, and uninstalled it over 5 times since yesterday. Currently, NFS is uninstalled, as is EVERYTHING, there are absolutely no apps installed at all. 

I have given read/write access, I have created a new user swanie2000, given the user full read/write access, but still I cannot navigate to the swanie folder without first logging into the NAS326 web server.  I need to be able to access it directly, which has never worked. 
    (Screen shots deleted for privacy)
  • swanie2000
    edited September 2018
    Mijzelf,
       I want to thank you for taking the time to walk me through this. I had time to calm down. I swear this thing was heading for a hammer, as early as tomorrow (just ask my last inkjet printer! That thing pissed red ink all over me and the carpet. It certainly had that beating coming!). I destroyed it, and it felt good :)  I finally went to a color laser jet, and never had another clogged nozzle again.

BACK to the NAS326
      I have stumbled onto something, and I will post my solution here, so other users may benefit from my headache.

I think I needed to LOGOUT from the web server?
    I also restarted the NAS326 from the logout menu (upper right hand corner - ICON of a person)

After doing that, I found my path to the folder, and it was not even close.

afp://anonymous@NAS326.local/swanie/  <----  This one goes straight to the folder
    afp://NAS326.local/swanie/  <--- this one asks for a password

Typing this into the path of my "FILE" browser(LINUX MINT), not web browser, and it will take me to the folder on the NAS326. Again, I think you need to be logged out of the NAS326, otherwise I couldn't get back to the folder.

Hope this helps someone.....

• Mijzelf
    I think I needed to LOGOUT from the web server?

I don't think so. The settings are applied when you hit the 'Apply' button, and the login is only valid for the http session, and has nothing to do with filesharing logins. (Unless your OS has some overall login manager, but I cannot remember I ever read about such a thing)

afp://

Ah. Next to Samba and NFS the box indeed also supports AFP. (The Apple Filing Protocol). I have no experience with that, as I don't have Apple products. AFAIK the Samba shares are also shared using Netatalk, an opensource implementation of AFP.

To use SMB you can use the smb:// protocol specifier. I don't think it will behave different than AFP for logins.

The .local extension is either handled by your combined DHCP server/DNS, or by an implementation of zeroconf on your PC.

afp://NAS326.local/swanie/  <--- this one asks for a password

Does it really only ask for a password? Not a username? I think in that case afp uses the username of the current login. So to be able to login non-anynomously you should create a user on the NAS with the same name (don't know if AFP is case sensitive here), and grant him access to that share.

Further you can use any username you want, the same way you used anonymous.

About laser printers, yes, I agree they are in most cases superior to inkjets. Especially because toner doesn't sear. :)

Consumer Product Help Center