New user trying to connect Vigor 130 through Zyxel Multy X

DavidF
DavidF Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited March 2019 in Multy WiFi System
Hello,

I've recently purchased a Vigor 130 which I am given the impression that it works 'out of the box' and that I don't need to alter anything.

Previously I was using a BTHub3 (ADSL) which worked OK but needed better WiFi around the house so I purchased a Zyxel Multy X and this works OK, connected to the BTHub.

The problem with the V130 is that I have been able to connect with a direct connection to my PC, but when I plug the modem into the Zyxel router the router does not pick up the signal.

Any advice for a novice on what adjustments I need to make would be gratefully received.

David
(Using Windows 7 and slow ADSL BT broadband)

#MultyX_Mar_2019

All Replies

• Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 55  Ally Member
    What do you mean "when I plug the modem into the Zyxel router the router does not pick up the signal."? How's the LED status of Multy X?

When you replace modem from BTHub3 to V130, do you reset and reinstall your Multy X? Can you share the information about the connection of your network topology? 
  • DavidF
    Thank you for your reply.

I raised the query in the DrayTek forum and it appears from the discussion there that the Vigor 130 and the Multy X are not compatible. 

The last reply I had explains it, as follows:

Yes the Vigor 130 (a modem) connects to a router. You then need to give the router the details, user name /password etc. so that it can connect to your ISP account. For example, I use a Vigor 13o modem which passes the data to my ASUS RT-AC3200 router in to which I enter the account name/password so that it can negotiate the connection.
    Your BT hub is a modem router and is already set up with the account/login details , that is why it works.
    The Vigor will connect to a router but the router MUST handle the user account negotiation.
    When you connect the Vigor130 direct to a PC the network controller sets up a static(PPOE) connection and negotiates the connection providing you enter the login in details.
    Reading the Zyxel user instructions it is made clear that you connect your Zyxel kit to a broadband modem/router which is connected to the internet.(the connection is negotiated)
    Zyxel User Manual section 1.3 Getting started :
    1) Have a modem or router that is connected to the internet.

So the DrayTek modem is going to be returned.

David

• DavidF
    Problem solved.

I 'factory reset' both the Multy X and the DrayTek v130, and uninstalled the Multy X app from my mobile.

I rebooted everything and started afresh with a new new App installation and followed all procedures as instructed.

I now have internet connection as expected, both wired and wireless. 

Maybe I did the initial installation using the BTHub and then swapped over - I cannot really remember the order of things now, but I'm glad to say that, by having a completely fresh start all is well.

Thank you for your patience and time.

Daivd
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 55  Ally Member
    I think if you replace original modem/router, Multy X need to reset and reinstall to get new Internet configuration. :)

Consumer Product Help Center