NAS542 replace disks.

Boyanski
Boyanski Posts: 33  Freshman Member
First Anniversary
edited April 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hello guys, I'm planning to upgrade my NAS with new disks. I have ordered four equal size WD Reds, which I'd like to configure in Raid 10. Right now I have two different disks, that are standalone (Basic), where most of my data is, and another two 300 GB, which I've configured in Raid 1 and as an iSCSI drive. I'll ditch the iSCSI now and use only shares.

What should I do before removing the current disks? If I turn off the NAS, remove them, install the new ones, turn on, create the Raid 10 partition and the shares, is this enough? Then I can connect the old disks through eSATA and copy the data to the NAS, right? I guess I should remove the iSCSI from windows.

Any advise and recommendations if I'm missing something?

Thanks!

#NAS_Apr_2019

Best Answers

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    To create a new volume it's enough to pull the current disks, insert the new ones and create a volume. But reading the old disks is not that easy. The NAS doesn't have esata ports, so I assume you want to use some other box. It has to run Linux, to be able to assemble and mount the basic volume. Don't know about the iSCSI. AFAIK that is from the NAS point of view an ordinary file, which is served as disk on the network. Don't know if that can easily be mounted.
  • Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    Yes, that are the right commands. Except that you'll also have to
    <div>mkdir -p /mnt/test</div>

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    To create a new volume it's enough to pull the current disks, insert the new ones and create a volume. But reading the old disks is not that easy. The NAS doesn't have esata ports, so I assume you want to use some other box. It has to run Linux, to be able to assemble and mount the basic volume. Don't know about the iSCSI. AFAIK that is from the NAS point of view an ordinary file, which is served as disk on the network. Don't know if that can easily be mounted.
  • Boyanski
    First Anniversary
    Yes, I will connect them to my PC's esata locally. The iSCSI is small, I have backuped to the single drives. I was wondering if the system would alarm that its missing. I guess not.

Thank you for your answer!
  • Boyanski
    First Anniversary
    I connected the disk with esata but it looks like its not ext4 or similar file system. I says "linux raid member". Is it possible to mount it and read it?

I have found some commands, will they work, I don't want to loose my data?

$ mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 /dev/sdc3
    $ mount /dev/md0 /mnt/test

• Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    Yes, that are the right commands. Except that you'll also have to
    <div>mkdir -p /mnt/test</div>

Consumer Product Help Center