NSA310S can't see the hdd.

Dimitrios
Dimitrios Posts: 6  Freshman Member
edited October 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage

After a problem, I reset my NSA310S to factory setting. After that can't see the HDD.

"Volume Status Down." If I try to Deltete and format again works but I'll lost my files. 

I try to get my files with some free windows tools and Linux also, but not success.

#NAS_Oct_2019

All Replies

• Dimitrios

NO the disk is OK. I put it, in sata2usb adapter and works fine, but I can't see all my files on windows 10. (I try several free tools)

I can see only the "public" folder not the "video", "photo" and "admin".

I have many critical files there.

I try in ubuntu also, but not success.

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    If you delete the volume, and created it again, the old filesystem is gone, and so are the pointers to your files. Depending on the nature of the files it might be possible to retrieve them using PhotoRec, or similar software. This can be run from any OS PhotoRec supports. The OS doesn't need to have support for the filesystem, as this information is not used. PhotoRec simply scans the whole surface of the partition/disk to find clusters which might be a file. This also means that the filename is lost, and so the path, and also the timestamp. That kind of information is stored in the filesystem, not in the file itself.
    So you will end up with a large bunch of files, from which you only know the type and size.

I have many critical files there.
    In that case you should have had a backup.

• Dimitrios

I try PhotoRec (I don't format the disk). No success.

I try with UFS Explorer Professional. I can see ALL my folders and files, but I need to pay for full functionality. Is there any tool like that for free?

• Mijzelf
    (I don't format the disk)
    Do you mean you haven't deleted and re-created you volume?
    Is there any tool like that for free?
    'Like that'? Depends. There are a lot of filesystem repair tools, but I'm not aware of any freeware tool which can browse damaged filesystem.
    What size is that disk?

• Dimitrios
    3TB, but only 1TB is the files.
  • Mijzelf
    3TB. That can be the problem. Some, or in my experience most, Sata-USB convertors do a sectorsize conversion when exposing a >2TiB disk. In that case they show 4kB physical sector size, instead of 512B. (The disk probably has 4kB sectors, but that is another story. All consumer disks expose a 512B sector size, and the 4kB<->8*512B conversion is done in the disk.)

The reason for this behavior of the Sata-USB convertor is that this way you can use MBR partition tables on disks >2TiB.  It happened that Windows XP could handle sectors >512B, but could not handle GPT partition tables. So by implementing this 'feature', Windows XP machines could use >2TiB USB disks.

For a disk with an existing partition table and filesystems this is disastrous, because everything is expressed in sectors, and if you change the sectorsize that doesn't fit, of course.

To see if this is your problem, connect the (USB) disk to a Linux system, and execute
    fdisk -l
    as root. It will show you (among other info) the sector sizes of all connected disks. The size of the NAS disk should be 512B.
  • Dimitrios

I try with Linus. Only the 1st (small) part of disk I can see.

<SLOVED>. I use the "R-Studio Data recovery" and I save the 95% of my files.

ALL OK.

Consumer Product Help Center