Is it possible to use NSA325v2 as VPN server?

Comments

• AleXSR700
    AleXSR700 Posts: 41  Freshman Member
    edited October 2019
    double psot
  • AleXSR700
    edited October 2019
    In theory it should work. In reality it does not. At least not for me. Do not know why yet. The Windows SoftEther client works immediately. Android won't work no matter what I try.

It may also be a problem because cable ISPs don't give real IPs.They use Dual Stack / DS Lite. So maybe OpenVPN is unable to connect due to that?
    But Windows works with the SoftEther client, so it should be possible witht tthe right client/protocol
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,600  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    For the client it doesn't matter. But the server (any server) needs an open port on the internet. In case of DS Lite you have no public IPv4 address, so you can't forward on IPv4. But on IPv6 it should be possible to unblock a port (on IPv6 you don't need to forward, as all devices in your network should have a public IPv6 address). So the connection should work over IPv6, when you have configured your router to forward the packages. Provided the clients have an IPv6 address.

• AleXSR700
    edited October 2019
    I gave my router an IPv6 address and managed to connect to it now using this address directly.

I will check if I can make the DNS service of SoftEther connect to this instead of to the IPv6 of the WAN.
  • AleXSR700
    So, if anyone ever finds this thread and needs help:
    add "v6" before the ddns address to force IPv6.

Or contact me ;-)
  • AleXSR700
    edited February 2020
    Oh man, now I messed it up again and can't remember how I got it to work. Seems like the GCONV_PATH was missing again and now I do not remember how I properly added it :(

root@vpnserver# printenv
    SHELL=/ffp/bin/sh
    TERM=vt102
    OLDPWD=/e-data/e9902f35-4024-4b41-9626-08c2131c7087
    USER=root
    SUDO_USER=admin
    SUDO_UID=501
    PATH=/ffp/sbin:/ffp/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/ffp/lib/gconv
    PWD=/e-data/e9902f35-4024-4b41-9626-08c2131c7087/vpnserver
    INPUTRC=/ffp/etc/inputrc
    GCONV_PATH=/ffp/lib/gconv
    PS1=\u@\h:\w\$
    PS2=>
    HOME=/ffp/home/root
    SUDO_COMMAND=/ffp/bin/su
    SHLVL=2
    LOGNAME=root
    LESS=-M
    SUDO_GID=500

The GCONV_PATH should be correct but I am getting a segmentation fault.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,600  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    What did you do to mess it up?

Your logfile is the log of a script. I can't imagine a script to segfault. So can you provide the log of the crashing binary?
    What's in the script?
  • AleXSR700
    edited February 2020

What did you do to mess it up?

Your logfile is the log of a script. I can't imagine a script to segfault. So can you provide the log of the crashing binary?
    What's in the script?

I have absolutely no idea :-D

I can only imagine that while trying to get ffmpeg to work I somehow inadvertently messed up some environmental variables or uninstalled/updated some package that is now causing this issue.

The script simply contains an export of the GCONV_PATH plus ./vpnserver start.

But I will run the log for the binary as soon as I get home and post that as well.
    Never mess with a running system. Especially not a fragile one like our NAS :-D
  • AleXSR700
    OK, here we go

Consumer Product Help Center