Zyxel NBG6615 periodic WAN disconnects issues

Nexo
Nexo Posts: 1
edited February 2020 in Home Router
Hi community,

I have a brand new Zyxel NBG6615 Wireless AC1200 Home Router and I'm having a problem with periodic disconnects approx. every 30-40 minutes. WAN connection goes down for approx. 6-7 minutes and then it restores and works for the next 30-40 minute period. My WAN is set to DHCP Client but the fun part is even if I do static IP the issue is still present. Any kind of reset on the WAN port (reseating cable, hitting apply in WAN settings etc.) restores the connection immediately. I'm running firmware V1.00(ABMV.3)C0, but I've tried all of them with no difference in behavior. The LEDs on the device and device status all show that everything is fine but during the disconnect period I'm unable to ping my WAN gateway IP (ISP router).
I still have my old D-Link router and that one works just fine. I'm not sure if this is some kind of firmware issue or I should just return this unit as faulty. Any ideas what I could try to troubleshoot this issue?

Pastebin with timestamped ping logs: https://pastebin.com/CQhFeUSz

#Home_Router_Feb_2020

All Replies

• Zyxel_Steven
    Zyxel_Steven Posts: 246  Zyxel Employee
    @Nexo,
    In order to provide you with a better assistance, we have contacted you via private message. Please kindly check your message box.
  • vasek.x1
    vasek.x1 Posts: 3  Freshman Member
    Hi, I have the same problem and I already have second router having such problem (first one was replaced under warranty). It does the same regardless the firmware. The only difference is, that it drops connection just for ca. a minute or two once in 10 to 30 minutes. When observing the router status, there's no change reported on the WAN side. Actually, when I look into log, I can see that at the time of the connection is re-established, these 2 messages are present and no other exist before:
    • DHCPC send REBINDING REQUEST packet!
    • DHCPC receive REBINDING ACK packet!
    Was there any solution from Zyxel?
  • Zyxel_Steven
  • vasek.x1
    @Zyxel_Steven, thank you. But may I ask you for sharing the file via some official Zyxel channel? I don't have any proof that this is officially provided firmware for my router (and the router is quite crucial part of my network) with no malware inside. I hope you understand my worries. The file you provided is not available on the Zyxel website, nor the FTP and while it has the same size as the original V3 firmware, it significantly differs inside. This could be just a coincidence, but it look weird to me. Thank you for understanding.
  • Zyxel_Steven
    edited March 2020
    @vasek.x1,

This date-code: V1.00(ABMV.3)C0_20200313 is a test firmware which fixed WAN issue of NBG6615. If you have any concern, please wait for next official firmware: V1.00(ABMV.4)C0 released. (Before next official firmware released, test firmware is fixed for specific issue based on current version.)

Or you can directly contact with ZYXEL EU technical support for the assistance.
    https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/requests/new
  • vasek.x1
    @Zyxel_Steven I have checked with support, and they confirmed this test firmware as correct (and also that Zyxel Moderator badge really represents a Zyxel employee). I have uploaded the firmware in my router and it works ok now. Thank you.
    Just to mention - I have found out yesterday that the issue was with a short DHCP lease time at my ISP, which was set to 5 minutes, even thought they thought, that they have DHCP lease set up for 24 hours... When I connect NBG6615 to another router with DHCP I could set up by my own and set it up to 8 hours, no connection drops occurred.
  • jorikello
    jorikello Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    I used beta firmware that Zyxel_Steven provide in post. It help, but now I have disconnect period about 8 hours (before update in was about 2 hours). Here is what I saw in log:

Apr 26 09:55:43 1 Wan connected,check ip conflicted ... (THIS IN MESSEGE ON DISCONNECT)
    Apr 26 09:55:43 2 start wan applications ...
    Apr 26 09:55:43 3 Init system time ...
    Apr 26 09:55:35 4 WAN connected!
    Apr 26 09:56:07 5 set firewall ...

I have to manually reboot router via web interface. My provider can`t provide solution. Maybe there is firmware update? Where can I get it? Thank you!
  • Zyxel_Eric
    Zyxel_Eric Posts: 279  Zyxel Employee
    First Answer First Comment
    @jorikello
    1. What is the WAN setting? is it a DHCP client or Static IP?
    2. Please provide the topology?
    3. According to the error message, there is a conflict IP in your Network. Is there other device connect to the Modem?
  • jorikello
    jorikello Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    @Zyxel_Eric
    1. WAN settings: 

2. what do you mean "topology" (sorry I don`t understand)
    3. No other device. My network is simple - notebook connect via router (sometimes phone).

But I must say that for almost 24 hours there have been no disconnections. Maybe after all, the firmware helped fix the problem? I will hope and watch! Tell me, is there any information when a new firmware version will be released? Because when I was looking for a solution to my situation, I found that on the network a lot of people encountered a similar
  • I'm having same problem with periodic disconnects approx. Same as Nexo. Same firmware. Is there a solution? 

Consumer Product Help Center