Multy U some devices losing connection requires frequent reboot of Multy unit

Options
D139
D139 Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited March 2020 in Multy WiFi System
Hi

we have 3 Multy U in a home setting, in Bridge Mode. Latest firmware as of Mar 19 2020

The Master is connected to a Plusnet Router. The other two are wireless connect to the master. We also have wired devices connected to the Plusnet Router via ethernet switches (eg Sky Q, Office PC, Brother printer)

Some devices connect OK and stay connected, but other devices connect sometimes but then lose connection (always  see good signal strength). This is fixed by re-starting the local Multy U, either by App or power cycle. Connection usually then OK . Effects both 2.4 and 5 G bands

Devices having trouble: Moto G4 play android phone, Lenovo G575 laptop, Sony Xperia XZ mobile

Devices working OK: Sony Xperia XA2 mobile, Ipad, Iphone SE, old Sony laptop

any ideas?

Rgds

Duncan

#MultyU_Mar_2020

Comments

• Zyxel_Eric
    Zyxel_Eric Posts: 279  Zyxel Employee
    First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Dear Sir,

Devices having trouble: Moto G4 play android phone, Lenovo G575 laptop, Sony Xperia XZ mobile
    1. Do you mean that only those devices have connection issue?  and other devices never occurred the disconnection?
    2. Were those devices which have trouble close to the same unit?
    3. Did the Extender Multy ever glow red or blinking blue when the issue happened?
    4. Please "Send Feedback" from your Multy App, and we can clarify your issue from the log.

Best Regards,
    Eric

• D139
    Options
    Hi

yes it seems its only those devices. They appear to connect OK first time, but then won't re-connect if the connection is lost (eg moving around the house to another base unit). re-starting the device does not solve it.

I spent a lot of time with one of the phones  ( e..g forget connection then re-enter password - it gets stuck "obtaining IP address" but always fails, power-cycle phone etc etc), but only re-booting the Multy U fixes it.

I tried rebooting the Plusnet router also - doesn't help.

We are restarting units on a daily basis - its becoming a bit of a pain. Its not just one Multy, it is whichever the device is nearest to. No red lights seen. Multy always looks normal.

Sorry for long delay responding. I didn't log in to check, and don't get an email when there's a response. I will check more often. I'll send feedback from the app. thanks for your help.

Do you think its related to using them in Bridge mode?

Rgds

Duncan
  • Zyxel_Eric
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Dear Sir,

Does this issue still happen?
    If the issue still happened, please send feedback to clarify this issue. 
    Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Eric

• D139
    Options
    Hi

yes - still happening, no change.
    I tried to fill in feedback form using the App, but there seemed no response from the "next" button (Android phone). eventually after lots of presses I got  rotating blue busy thing and then an email pop-up box asking me to pick an email application which I took to be an error, so not sure if the report went or not.

Should the report go automatically on pressing "next" or should I be emailing it somewhere?

I may try re-configuring it all to not use Bridge mode - I saw that someone else also has problems with that.

By experiment I found that the Wired output Ethernet port of the master Multy can be used to connect to a regular device (not just a slave Multy) and so I may try putting a switch there to connect to the wired devices currently plugged in to the Plusnet router. Then I can switch off the Plusnet router DHCP server.

• Zyxel_Eric
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Dear Sir,

You will have to choose an email App to send the feedback report after you click "Next". Please try to send the feedback again, and we can check the log.
    Otherwise, the report will not deliver to our Support system.

You can try to connect your network as below, and set the Multy on NAT mode.
    Router----<WAN>Multy<LAN>-----switch=======wried devices 

Best Regards,
    Eric

Consumer Product Help Center