How do you wake the external drive (connected via usb)?

frigider
frigider Posts: 18  Freshman Member
i have the sleep hdds after 15mins but this also puts the external hdd in sleep as well.

problem is.. i does not wake up by itself and becomes inaccessible, even the file Browser does not see it..

after restart everything is ok, until it sleeps again...

Comments

• Sakura_T
    Sakura_T Posts: 101  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Do you mean only the external hdd not coming back from sleep? what model is the USB HDD?
  • Kim
    Kim Posts: 37  Freshman Member
    What kinds of model do you have and what is the firmware version of it?
    "after restart everything is ok" do you mean restart NAS or unplug and plug-in the external drive?
  • frigider
    edited April 2020
    i don't know how to "reply" to individuals so here goes:

- usb hdd is a WD black, 320Gb older hdd.
    - yes, after restarting the NAS the usb hdd is visible/accessible again.
    - NAS model is NAS326 with latest firmware.

thank you for your interest.
  • frigider

IF you set sleep time of HDDs to "never" then the usb hdd does not go into sleep so you solve the "wake up" issue.

BUT, i don't want my "enterprise" raid 1 HDDs to never sleep just becasue i want the usb drive to not fall asleep...so.. i think i will ditch the external hdd.
  • Emerald Dragon
    Emerald Dragon Posts: 118  Ally Member
    First Anniversary
    @frigider - Question is: What kind of external hard drive enclosure do you have? Does it uses power from the USB port or has it own power supply plugged in? That would factor in as far as your hard drive going into sleep mode. I have the same NAS and all my external hard drive enclosures that I used (including SATA hot swapped) has its own power supply. And it never went to sleep on me at any time when I have it on. I do have USB powered external hard drive that would do exactly what you said when not being used or idle. So, that might be your case if that's what you are using.

Emerald Dragon
  • Wiasouda
    Wiasouda Posts: 156  Master Member
    Just disable sleep time at all, there is no need to make HDD sleep.
    The energy saving is very little and even a better chance to damage your disks.
    My opinion only~
  • frigider
    Emerald Dragon well, i think you nailed it. the power comes from the NAS via USB as well. So it has a Y cable with 2 usb connectors. It works with just 1 of them but i connect both of them.
    Very good point to use external power..
  • frigider
    Wiasouda I am thinking by having sleep mode on i will prolongue the lifespan of my main 2 RAID 1 drives. 
    i would not want them to suffer because of a "stupid", old beat up external HDD..it is not about saving energy (shame on me..)
  • frigider
    @Emerald Dragon
    since you have external HDD did you manage to reliably download and seed torrents from it?

i have another topic open on that subject and i find it a nightmare to get it done..
  • Emerald Dragon
    Emerald Dragon Posts: 118  Ally Member
    First Anniversary
    @frigider - Sorry ,I couldn't help you on that. I haven't done any seed torrents at all. All I have been doing so far is consolidating my data from all external drives to the internal. I got data everywhere, and it's a pain in the butt to find them when I need them. And having 1TB (2x) on  RAID1, I only have less than 40% left on my internal hard drive. I needs to get 12TB (2x) fast before I ran out of room, or it will be my nightmare to get it done when it's full.

I also have another topic asking about buying hard drive myself LOL! Now, that's funny....

Consumer Product Help Center