Nas540 - Keep getting usb copy failures

Meurglys0
Meurglys0 Posts: 13  Freshman Member
I am trying to setup my NAS540. I have a few 3TB HDDs full of data. I created a volume in NAS540 with a 8 TB new drive. I attach my drives to front USB socket and do a copy/sync job. It went well with the first drive. However with other drives I keep getting copy failures after a few GBs are copied. If I start again a new folder is created and the process restarts. What should I do? This has been going on for days. The sole reason I got this NAS is to have my disks in one place and access them wirelessly while at home. If I try to copy the files manually from my laptop to the Volume 1 in the NAS I get 8-9 mb/s transfer speed. 

I am planning to replace my 300mbps router with a gigabit router, but I'm not sure it will help me with copying the files over to the NAS more efficiently... 

Please help me...

All Replies

• Sakura_T
    Sakura_T Posts: 101  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    What type of USB drive do you use? HDD or flash?
    If it's HDD, have you tried USB Y-cable / external power supply to ensure the power?
    In my experience, lack of power may cause HDD instability.
  • Meurglys0
    It's an 3.5 inch hdd inside an enclosure with a power adaptor and a usb3 cable. What's a USB Y-cable?
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    What's a USB Y-cable?

Bus powered USB disks sometimes cannot draw enough juice from one USB port. Then you can use an Y-cable, which has 2 host connectors, one for data+power, and one for power alone. This way you can double the available power.

I keep getting copy failures

Do you have an error message?

• Meurglys0
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the explanation. The error message is as below:

It just reports the failure and nothing else. The files being copied at the time of failure varies each time.

Do you think the usb copy action from the external hdd to NAS540 fails due to my router not providing a Gigabit connection? I'm using the copy/sync button on the front panel... 
  • Sakura_T
    Sakura_T Posts: 101  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Can you check CPU/RAM utilization in system information when copying?
    Maybe it's too busy at the time.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Have you tried a filesystem check on the disk? The first disk went well, did it have the same filesystem as the second?

Consumer Product Help Center