NSA320S painfully slow/corrupt file copying

akradiabra
akradiabra Posts: 8  Freshman Member
edited July 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
I am at my wits end as to what to do next. I am hoping someone has some idea as to what I might be ble to do to resolve my current problem. Currently the only way I can successfully transfer files to the NAS box is to copy them to a USB stick and use the copy function button on the machine. Once residing on the machine I can move them within a "directory e.g. public" to another location "on public in this example" but not to "video". To enable this I have to go into settings and change the default settings. I have no problems accessing files on the drive to stream to a connected TV or to a laptop. My problem is only in being able to copy or move files using windows explorer from the laptop to the NAS box or vice versa.

The NAS320S has one 4TB HDD installed which shows up as 3.58TB in windows explorer. Currently there is 78.4GB free left on the drive. The operating system on the laptop is Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit.

Today I took my laptop and NAS box to try on my daughters network to see if it would make any difference. It didn't, endless waiting for Windows to "discover" the file to be copied when I could plainly see that Windows already new about it. Interestingly although the file syestem is "discovering" and the file transfer is reported as 0 bytes per second, bytes are being transferred. Even when the operation is cancelled (which causes explorer to stop reponding) bytes are still being transferred until the full file is transferred albeit in a corrupt manner.

For what its worth this problem has only arisen recently.

#NAS_July_2020

Comments

• akradiabra
    In addition I have rebooted the laptop, restarted the router and reset the NAS box countless times to no avail.
  • akradiabra
    Can't edit OP and having reread it, last line of first paragraph should read:

My problem is only in NOT being able to copy or move files using windows explorer from the laptop to the NAS box or vice versa
  • Kim
    Kim Posts: 37  Freshman Member
    Have you tried to use another browser instead of using windows explorer?
  • akradiabra
    Kim quote: Have you tried to use another browser instead of using windows explorer?

Not exactly sure how you would go about this although I can see that it should be possible having used ftp through a browser in the long past.

I've tried using FastCopy ver3.89 and the same scenario shows up where I loose network connectivity. I must stress that streaming media presents no problem whatsoever, it is only in file operations that there is an issue
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    I'm afraid your disk is acting up. Do you have a spare disk to test if the NAS works OK with that?
  • akradiabra
    Yes I have a spare, I'll try that when I've been able to back up its contents. Is 4TB (3.58TB actual) asking too much because file oprations have only been an issue since it has started to reach full capacity. The current 4TB HDD is configured as JBOD. The spare is 320GB.
  • I don't think anything is wrong with his drives. I have the same error with 4 new drives that all checkout fine with no errors.  Interestingly the Zyxel bios slows to a halt too and even logging in with your UN and PW is slow.  So I paused explorer on the sending PC and I pulled the power plug from the Zyxel NAS and rebooted. Then I unpaused explorer and it started cranking again working fine.  It's something with the Zyxel operating system or cache that gets overloaded.

Consumer Product Help Center