NAS 542 transfer speed

Options
Fabione82
Fabione82 Posts: 3  Freshman Member
Hello everyone, I have a problem with my NAS 542. For some time I have seen that the transfer speed of files from the PC to the NAS is very low (1-3 MB / s). Both the PC and the NAS are connected with cat.6 cables to the Gigabit switch. What could be the problem? Thank you and good day.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    There can be several reasons.
    1) You are actually using wifi. I have seen on W10 boxes that wifi got a higher priority, when it has the same network segment as cabled.
    2) The disk is (almost) full. The throughput of ext4 collapses when the disk is almost full, especially on mechanical disks.
    3) The disk is dying. Check the smart values.
    4) You are transferring a lot of small files. Than the random access time of mechanical disk have a huge impact on throughput.
    5) An aggressive virus scanner.
    6) The NAS is busy with other things. Have a look at the tasks list, you can find somewhere in the webinterface.
  • jenniferjames
    jenniferjames Posts: 2  Freshman Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Link speeds between computers and network devices is all throttled by the slowest speed in the link chain. 
  • Fabione82
    Options
    Scrivi il tuo cHi Mijzelf and jenniferjames, thanks for the replies.
    I noticed that the problem of low data transfer speed I have it only when I copy data from PC to NAS while from NAS to PC it is fast (70-90 MB/s)

Mijzelf I checked what you wrote to me:
    1) There is no wi-fi
    2) the disks have at least 30% free space
    3) I have 3 discs: 2 discs have 2 years of life and 1 disc has 2 months of life. The system tells me the discs are fine.
    4) The files are at least 4Gb
    5) I tried to disable the antivirus (Avast) but nothing has changed
    6) The NAS is used only as external storage and I have access only from my pc

jenniferjames:
    how do i check if there is a link that slows me down the whole chain?
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Have you tried another cable, switch, switch port? If you have shell access to the NAS you could execute 'ifconfig'  to see if you have a lot of network errors.
  • Fabione82
    Options
    I tried to change the cables (always cat6) and put back the 5 port switch I had before (now I have an 8 port one) but nothing has changed. I don't know how to access the NAS shell, I'm not very practical
  • lodiabai
    lodiabai Posts: 120  Ally Member
    Options
    You can download "putty" or "teraterm" to access the shell by using SSH.
    To access the NAS shell it required your NAS IP address.

Consumer Product Help Center