HELP! NSA325v2 RAID1 degraded!

Options
doktor
doktor Posts: 14  Freshman Member
First Comment
I am trying to upgrade my current 2x2TB Hard disks to 2x8TB in RAID1.

So, first things first I made a backup of my 2TB files and then proceeded as follows:

1. Shutdown NSA325v2 (NAS for short).
2. Removed 2TB disk from tray 1 and inserted 8TB disk in tray 1.
3. Booted up and waited to see what happens.
4. NAS recognizes the new disk and reports array as degraded.
5. I select repair and wait...
6. After some hours, I see that the reconstruction process proceeds up to about 60% (last time I checked).
7. Next morning I check, reconstruction has stopped and array is still degraded.
8. I try to select repair but nothing happens.

So I decide to put the original 2TB disk back in tray 1, at least to restore the original array. I repeat the above steps having now removed the 8TB disk and having put the original, untouched 2TB back in tray 1. The NAS now reports this array as degraded and after reconstruction nothing happens and I can't ask it to try again.

So now I can't even go back to where I was in the start! I have a 2TB degraded array and I don't even understand why.

Please help!

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited January 2021
    Options
    The reason you can't go back is because you separated the members. When you assembled the array degraded the removed member was no longer part of the array. The raidmanager cannot know if both disks still contain the same filesystem (you might have deleted a file, or even put a new filesystem on one array), so they are treated as different arrays now.

Can you post the output of

cat /proc/mdstat
    su
    mdadm --examine /dev/md0
    mdadm --examine /dev/sd[ab]2
    fdisk -l

with the 8TB disk inserted?
  • doktor
    First Comment
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I can do that, but I will have to re-insert the 8TB disk. So what would be wise in this case? To keep the 2TB disk that was the first time in the NAS with the 8TB disk or to put the 8TB disk in the other tray so it is together with the 2TB disk it was not with the first time?

Before I do that, is there a way to ask the system to try and rebuild the array? I mean I know that I didn't change anything on the filesystem and the disk I had pulled out at least must contain all the original data.
  • doktor
    First Comment
    Options
    Well, I decided to put the 8TB disk back in the tray I put it the first time and now it shows Recovering 0.4%. Maybe it will work this time?  I will leave it for now. This will take quite a few hours.

Consumer Product Help Center